• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Chihiros WRGB - 60 or 90 for 80cm tank?

PorridgeO

I’m setting up my first high-tech tank. The Chihiros WRGB II seems to come well recommended, but I’m struggling with the size to get. My tank is 80w x 38d x 55h (cm).

It will be a Brazilian style aquascape and will be using CO2. The plants I am going for are:

Monte carlo
Rotala orange juice, green, h’ra and rotundifolia
Hygrophilia araguaia
Blyxa japnoica
Staurogyne repens
Lilaeopsis brasilienis

I seems to be caught between the two sizes. Will the 60 version be ok? My tank is quite high already, and has a raised hood on it too. I thought it might sit high enough to give the coverage? Whereas the 90 will overhang the tank.

Would it give enough light to the bottom though?

Thanks

I don't think a 60cm will be enough coverage if it's supposed to be a high light, Brazilian style scape. Why not go with the Chihiros Vivid instead? It's a better light and it's perfect size for 80cm tank.

I don't think a 60cm will be enough coverage if it's supposed to be a high light, Brazilian style scape. Why not go with the Chihiros Vivid instead? It's a better light and it's perfect size for 80cm tank.
I did look at the vivid but price is a factor with that one. I’d prefer not to spend £350 on the Vivid if there are other options that would be good enough and cheaper.

I’m still learning but I don’t think the plants I am picking are the most demanding, but would the 60 simply not be enough?

I’m still learning but I don’t think the plants I am picking are the most demanding, but would the 60 simply not be enough?
Well technically the WRGB 90 is meant for 90cm-110cm tank. The WRGB 60 is designed for a 60cm-80cm tank. Having the WRGB 90 on a 80cm tank you might end up having some light bleed on the sides

Have you looked the WeekAqua A430? It's just as powerful as the Vivid II but cheaper. App can be finicky but once set there is no reason to touch it and it works fine. That's what I have on my 60cm tank.

Well technically the WRGB 90 is meant for 90cm-110cm tank. The WRGB 60 is designed for a 60cm-80cm tank. Having the WRGB 90 on a 80cm tank you might end up having some light bleed on the sides

Have you looked the WeekAqua A430? It's just as powerful as the Vivid II but cheaper. App can be finicky but once set there is no reason to touch it and it works fine. That's what I have on my 60cm tank.
Seems to be quite a tricky one to locate in the UK.

Is that how you got yours? I was interested in buying one maybe.

Yeah, I bought three of the T90 Pro's.

I've made about 4 purchases through AliExpress over the last few years. All have arrived in perfect condition, and generally very well packaged etc.

I only ran into an issue once with a Chihiros WRGB II (before Chihiros started selling direct into the UK) where the blue-tooth controller failed after a couple of months. The supplier didn't reply to my e-mails and Chihiros told me there was no warranty because I didn't purchase from an authorised seller.

Chihiros did sell me a replacement controller for a very low nominal price, so it was an easy fix, but it is worth bearing in mind that most stuff bought through AliExpress probably won't have any warranty, so factor in the possibility that you may have to pay to get replacement parts and fix yourself.

Upgrade to an WRGB2 Pro which has an 80cm unit that'll match your tank much better than the 60 or 90

Back