• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Chihiros WRGB 2 slim under the lid?

andy198712

Hi,

I’ve brought this light and would ideally like to run it under the hood, with its IP43 rating is this okay?

Other option is a clear Perspex type lid and run it on top or similar….

Thanks
Andy

Just found the manual online and your right it says this

• The water tank should be covered by a cover in case of using a CO2-Diffuser or air pumps. The LED-Modul is protected by plexiglass, nevertheless it should not be in contact with any water drops. The LED-Light must always be at least 60mm above the water surface.

• Never use the LED-Light in an aquarium cover.
  • The LED-Light is very hot during the application. Please do not touch it before the power is unplugged and fully cooled.
It’s no big deal I’ll just make up a clear cover, think Perspex will be okay when the light is 6cm away from it? I can get that at a DIY shop and trim to fit in the recess, glass will be option two but slightly more difficult to get

If you use cast acrylic (Perspex is only a trade name, so any acrylic is cheaper) then the warping due to heat is much better. Extruded acrylic has built in stresses due to the process of stretching it in manufacture. This means that as it gets hot it try's to get rid of the inbuilt stresses and warps. You can tell extruded by looking through it and turning; rainbow effects can be seen in the acrylic.

Acrylic melting point is 160C it gets soft enough to warp (over long periods) at about 70C for cast and 25-35C for extruded.
What about a glass hood?
The IP rating is not effective against humidity. What you would need to put it under the hood is a total water emersion capability, with no fixed time limit.

Hope that helps

1651389406430.png

Last edited:
If you use cast acrylic (Perspex is only a trade name, so any acrylic is cheaper) then the warping due to heat is much better. Extruded acrylic has built in stresses due to the process of stretching it in manufacture. This means that as it gets hot it try's to get rid of the inbuilt stresses and warps. You can tell extruded by looking through it and turning; rainbow effects can be seen in the acrylic.

Acrylic melting point is 160C it gets soft enough to warp (over long periods) at about 70C for cast and 25-35C for extruded.
What about a glass hood?
The IP rating is not effective against humidity. What you would need to put it under the hood is a total water emersion capability, with no fixed time limit.

Hope that helps

View attachment 187706
That helps a lot thank you! And now finally the IP rating makes sense too. Seems I need to find some cast or glass ideally then.
Thank you!

Back