• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Chihiros Aquasky led

Glen Jowdie

Hi all. Iv'e been looking at the Chihiros Aquasky led, Has anyone had any experience with this light, I just wondered what people's thoughts are on them, are they as good as the ADA Aquasky led.

I got two (chihiros 451 & 301) on my iwagumi, works flawless! The dimmer was included, I'm using it on position 6 (approx. 80% power), because it is even more powerful than the Ada!

So as AndreiD said, very powerful light! (But dimmable), I even use the 301 on my low tech nano (at approx. 50% power), and No big algae trouble...:thumbup:

Hi CookieS, that's a great help, I think the Chihiros would be the better option as you can use a dimmer, where as there's no dimmer for the ADA version as far as I know. Many thanks.

Hi I got one of these but as an A series, for my fluval spec v as it looked like it would suit the tank. It is crazy bright - even on the lowest settings - I'm not co2-ing my system & it's a bit much!

Last edited:
What would you say the colour rendition is like on the Chihiros lights? I've heard others say they can be a bit white and can make the plants look bit washed out. Would you agree at all?

This post would be better in the lighting forum as this is the journals forum. I believe there are also other posts about this light in the lighting section.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks Idcgroomer, will check out the lighting forum and carry on this discussion there.

Last edited:
Is a little white, it tends to make reds look pants. Fine for greens mind.
3f4ac800f406ef0454f086b18887962b.jpg

I have been using the Chihiros A601 from day 1 since I started my tank in January 2016 (this is my first ever fish/planted tank). It has intensity control with 8 brightness levels. When I started my tank, I used to run my lights for 8 hours a day at brightness level 3 as I was not sure what would be deemed too bright (and I was petrified of causing an algae bloom due to high light after hearing/reading the horror stories). A month plus down the line, I found that growth was relatively slow, so I decided to increase it to brightness level 5 (which is what I have been using since). I have been extremely pleased with with the results and growth is great.

The light is white. Do take note that the light is not waterproof - mine got slightly wet accidentally (luckily when it was off). But I put it out under the sun and it worked fine.

Here are two shots of my tank.

This shot was taken a few days of planting (21-Jan-2016).
DR_20160121.JPG

The next shot was taken 4 months later (21-May-2016).
DR_21060521.JPG

Thanks for the feedback.

Quick couple of questions. Are you able to run these on timers, or do they need to manually switched on/off? and if you are able to run them on timers, do they remember the power setting you had them on prior to them switching off?

Cheers
Paul

Hi dr dunno, your plants look like there doing well with that light, is the plant in the back Hygrophila Polysperma.

Hi Iain Sutherland, thanks for the info. Your tank looks great and the light looks really nice. When you say that red plants don't look so good, in what way do you mean.

Thanks for the feedback.

Quick couple of questions. Are you able to run these on timers, or do they need to manually switched on/off? and if you are able to run them on timers, do they remember the power setting you had them on prior to them switching off?

Cheers
Paul
Paul, I run the lights on a timer, and the light remembers the pre-switch off settings.

Hi dr dunno, your plants look like there doing well with that light, is the plant in the back Hygrophila Polysperma.
Glen, if you are referring to the one that is in the background and growing taller than the light level, it is Eusteralis Stellata. If you are referring to the plants in front of the Eusteralis Stellata, it is a mix of Bacopa Monnieri and Bacopa Caroliniana.

Reactions: PMC
IME, the Chihiros is very bright. I've measured PAR and it is stronger than the ADA aquasky. Depending on your scape plans it may be overpowered. If doing an Iwagumi type layout with a few low growing carpeting plants I'd throw in some floating water sprite in the beginning to compensate for the lower plant mass. CO2 has to be on point and a nutrient rich soil will probably help greatly. The red rotala is Rotala H'ra. It does not get this red in any other setups I'm running. Par is over 200 micromoles near the top center. Aquasky is around 160 as measured by an Apogee PAR sensor.

I did not like the dimming function. Seemed to make the light flicker a little. The light did not appear to be steady or stable. It wasn't obvious, but looked strange to me. I ran at full power and skipped the dimmer.

Here is my most recent scape with the 45 cm version of the Chihiros

25048477095_e91afecd25.jpg

Back