• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cherry shrimp breeding

idris

I've bought some Cherry Shrimp (including a berried female) and the sales assistant recommended keeping them at 28°c to breed them.
I usually keep my tank around 25°c, which seems about right for Platties, Khulis, Ottos, Neons, Amanos, and a Beta. Is there a temp that'll be ok for the fish and the shrimp, or have I just picked a bad mix?

There's some overgrown Java Moss (upto about 4" long) on bogwood. I understand this could provide sanctuary for breeding shrimp. Should I just let it grow?

That's all good to know.
Should I perhaps drop the temp a couple of degrees? (Not just for the shrimp.)

nope, 28 is if you aren't bothered about small clutches, want lots of males and want them to hatch really quick , mine are happy as clams at 23c , it'll take longer for the eggs to mature(25-30 days), but the chances of survival are higher and the sex ratio should be almost equal - if you want to know more, here's a really good article How Temperature Affects Sex Ration of Red Cherry Shrimp - Shrimp and Snail Breeder

nope, 28 is if you aren't bothered about small clutches, want lots of males and want them to hatch really quick , mine are happy as clams at 23c , it'll take longer for the eggs to mature(25-30 days), but the chances of survival are higher and the sex ratio should be almost equal - if you want to know more, here's a really good article How Temperature Affects Sex Ration of Red Cherry Shrimp - Shrimp and Snail Breeder
Apologies Idris, I don't mean to hijack the thread but @jamila169 when roughly do the sexual dimorphisms become apparent? It's been a few years since I've bred cherry shrimp and my recent shrimplets look all male, kept them at 23c almost exactly. They are only 4 weeks old though.

Back