• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

cherry shrimp breeding?

timbob1387

Seedling
Ok so got a group of about 20 shrimp a couple weeks ago, theres definitely at least 3 females, noticed the other day one with loads of eggs in her(now known as big momma) que me very happy!

Currently have them in a shrimp and mts tank, old fluval 1 filter, temp set to around 27 degrees.
Feeding an algae wafer every other/every third day.

How long on average do the eggs take to hatch?
Do the baby shrimp require any special treatment or they fine to just leave in the tank to fend for themselves?

i found they do fine in the tank on there own. and they take about 2-3 weeks from what i remember with mine

i have loads of shrimps and the carry eggs all the time
there in the main tank i started with 12 i now have them
in all of my tanks i just let them get on with it to be honest
i do put shrimp food in for them but most of the time they
will eat with the fish they seen to love cucumber

I would definitely drop the gherkins....sorry I mean temp a couple of degrees :D the shrimplets will do fine on their own and will feed on the biofilm to start with.
Is it a mature tank?

i keep mine about 26 to27 gherkins

They'll be fine then,there will be plenty of biofilm to start them off :) don't worry if you don't see any for a while they really are tiny so you won't spot them easily at first.
I have some snowball shrimp breeding and trying to spot tiny white specks is entertaining to say the least :D

Shrimp carry eggs for about 30 days.

The hotter the water the quicker shrimp age and grow and sometimes give birth and the cooler is the opposite. Most people keep their shrimp at about 22-23 degrees and that gives you about 12-18 month lifecycle. (i stand corrected)

Back