• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • Most of the remaining team are off on holiday meaning the forum does not have sufficient cover. As such the site will be placed in maintenance mode where it can be viewed but no posts/threads can be made and will remain this way until August 11th, apologies for the inconvience.

Cherry shrimp and changing parameters

Qwedfg

I am about to rescape my tank to a Dutch aqua scape and remove my seiryu stone. I use ro water for a water change (0 kh) and add 10 ppm of magnesium per week….by the end of the week my kh is around 5 and my gh around 9. After the switch I will be running a gh of 5-6 and a kh of 0. Should I take any extra precautions for my cherry shrimp when making the change or am I over thinking it.

I am about to rescape my tank to a Dutch aqua scape and remove my seiryu stone. I use ro water for a water change (0 kh) and add 10 ppm of magnesium per week….by the end of the week my kh is around 5 and my gh around 9. After the switch I will be running a gh of 5-6 and a kh of 0. Should I take any extra precautions for my cherry shrimp when making the change or am I over thinking it.

Are you keeping the same substrate, or adding new?

In the past I was adding 40 ppm but then someone on the forums had said there wasn’t a need to since calcium is released by seiryu and it was raising my gh significantly over the week. I’ve been adding 10 ppm weekly for the last month just to boost it a bit.

I’m going to use the same substrate (Amazonia) just going to mix it up and fill it up half way and drain the water out to remove all the detritus. My tank was started in March of last year so it could use a deep substrate clean.

In the past I was adding 40 ppm but then someone on the forums had said there wasn’t a need to since calcium is released by seiryu and it was raising my gh significantly over the week. I’ve been adding 10 ppm weekly for the last month just to boost it a bit.

I’m going to use the same substrate (Amazonia) just going to mix it up and fill it up half way and drain the water out to remove all the detritus. My tank was started in March of last year so it could use a deep substrate clean.

Yep, that increase in KH and GH you are seeing will almost all CaCO3 from the Seiryu Stone, so you don't want to be adding any additional Calcium.

Back