• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Checking co2 is correct before adding fish.

I’ve recently added pressurised co2 to my tank. Initially the diffuser was at the front of the tank But I read that for best results the diffuser should be in the flow of the filter to circulate the co2 round the tank so I placed it below the outlet of my HOB filter. The drop checker is in the front corner. I started out at about 1 bubble/sec but the checker was blue so I increased it to 2 bubble/sec. That changed the checker to a darkish green. I have upped it again to see how many bubbles it takes to turn the checker lime green. (No livestock at the moment) it’s currently at 3/sec. does this sound right for a 55l nano or have I got it wrong?

Hi,
Bubbles per second aren't a really accurate way to compare CO2 amounts between tanks, because bubble size may change between equipments. That being said, 3 bps sounds about right, if not a bit high, for a 55L tanks. Your diffuser and drop checker placements are ok.
The best ways to check if your CO2 amount is enough for your plants are
  • a drop in pH before lights on (ideally 1° drop, but I personnally never achieved this without gasping fish at the end of the day: I'm not good enough with water circulation yet)
  • your plant health, especially the carpeting ones.

Anyway, with 3bps I think your largely safe for your fish, and if not you're safely in position to turn it down in time if you see them gasping. They'll be out with a headache, that's all. Just put them in the tank when CO2 is off, check on them regularly when CO2 turns on, and adapt if needed.

Envoyé de mon KB2003 en utilisant Tapatalk

Back