• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Check out this fella

chilled84

Check out this guy i found this morning hanging about my door.

picture009n.jpg

Hi all,
It is a female Great Green Bush Cricket (Tettigonia viridissima) late stage nymph (the adult is fully winged, and it is a female because of the ovipositor). They are relatively common along the south coast and in the SW. you often get them in gardens (in pampas grass clumps, hedges etc) and they stridulate very loudly at night. They eat anything and can allegedly bite, like the closely related, but much rarer "Wart-biter". The full grown adult is a bit of a beast, about as big as a full grown locust.

cheers Darrel

I've got a picture of me holding one of these beast while walking in Cornwall and it must be about 16cm long from face to tail, I caught it while catching normal sized grass hoppers and had never seen a thing like it. The wings when spread are spectacular, almost like a butterflys in irridecence but with 2 very large black and yellow eyespots on the tip of each wing.

Garuf said:
I've got a picture of me holding one of these beast while walking in Cornwall and it must be about 16cm long from face to tail, I caught it while catching normal sized grass hoppers and had never seen a thing like it. The wings when spread are spectacular, almost like a butterflys in irridecence but with 2 very large black and yellow eyespots on the tip of each wing.

Your not kidding garuf! They are huge, That guy was huge, I mean if you see the size of the skirting bording he is sat on, they chappy must have been at least 3inch head to tale!

Back