• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cheap CO2 system for nanos?

Some people have put these reactors in a bucket of water with a heater to maintain a constant temperature and they manage to get much more reliable CO2 rate. You turn the heater off at night to reduce the CO2 rate if required. Heating tape wrapped around the container is probably a safer, but more expensive option, as one of the people doing this with a heater and bucket of water allowed the heater to touch the bucket, which melted a hole and flooded his lounge.

Other issues encountered were, if using a solenoid to turn CO2 off at night, actually vent CO2 to room rather than tank, made the room smell of fermenting yeast !!!

Also a "catch bottle" in line with the CO2 output is almost essential to catch any thing other than CO2 getting into the tank. Someone knocked over his yeast reactor whilst tank fiddling and the pressure emptied the fermenting contents into the tank, promptly killing everything.!!! A catch bottle would have caught this and prevent it entering the tank.
So much shenanigans just for CO2. 😂

Indeed. I hardly have room for me tweezers 😂. Love it though!
Me tweezers and scissors and net are literally on the wall or the back of the tank due to space constraints. Tried brute forcing the scraper in those groves. Didn't work.
IMG_9999.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg

If you have ADA Tweezers you build a display cabinet!
Sorry we are going off topic now.
Back to cheap and amazing CO2 Solutions!!

Just thought I'd update this thread as I "splashed out" on one of these a little while ago. Everything said in the video is pretty accurate though I opted for DIY as opposed to the refill kit. I'm running it on a 12l shrimp tank and it's been absolutely perfect for my needs, if something of a pain to start with when getting the dial in the right place. I'm liking it so much that I've ordered another one for my other 12l tank :) .

Back