• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Channelling my inner Filipe - Christmas Corys

Just need to jump in to interject, what youre referring to as julii corys are actually Corydoras trilineatus 99,9% of the time. They are very commonly incorrectly labeled C. julii, but the true Corydoras julii is very rare in the trade. Just had to get it off my chest :inpain::geek:😅

Just need to jump in to interject, what youre referring to as julii corys are actually Corydoras trilineatus 99,9% of the time. They are very commonly incorrectly labeled C. julii, but the true Corydoras julii is very rare in the trade. Just had to get it off my chest :inpain::geek:😅
Thanks, i have just been reading about that! 👍

Hi all,
Are pandas smaller?
Yes, they are a bit smaller than <"Corydoras trilineatus">. You need at least five, but after that it would depend on the bottom area of the tank.

You may be able to find hobbiest bred ones cheaply, they are about the only locally bred Corydoras you ever see in the shops here, I assume because the tap water is really hard and doesn't allow most of the other species to breed successfully.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

Yes, they are a bit smaller than <"Corydoras trilineatus">. You need at least five, but after that it would depend on the bottom area of the tank.

You may be able to find hobbiest bred ones cheaply, they are about the only locally bred Corydoras you ever see in the shops here, I assume because the tap water is really hard and doesn't allow most of the other species to breed successfully.

cheers Darrel
Thanks Darrel, i'll have a look in my LFS for some pandas, probably will try get 6.

I've got 6 pandas in my 900, great fish with character, always active, love a cooler water tank too, breed readily also. I do have a sand/beach area in mine however they spend most of their time in amongst the plants.

I've got 6 pandas in my 900, great fish with character, always active, love a cooler water tank too, breed readily also. I do have a sand/beach area in mine however they spend most of their time in amongst the plants.
Thanks. I'm quite excited, i haven't visted a LFS in so long. 😉

Thanks. I'm quite excited, i haven't visted a LFS in so long.
I was told they can be quite fragile after being transported, took me quite some time to find decent stock and stock that had been in the shop for more than 2 weeks. Watch for the odd jump after introducing them, they aren't jumpers as such but the new tank and their desire to gulp air sometimes gets them in trouble.

I was told they can be quite fragile after being transported, took me quite some time to find decent stock and stock that had been in the shop for more than 2 weeks. Watch for the odd jump after introducing them, they aren't jumpers as such but the new tank and their desire to gulp air sometimes gets them in trouble.
Thanks, to be fair i think most of the LFS stock will be older due to the pandemic and slow business, so hopefully they will have some healthy ones. Would be cool to get some really small pandas and grow them out and hope for some breeding action.

So i went to my LFS yesterday as i was running low on dechlorinator and frozen foods. Was also hoping to find 7 small panda corys (they usually do buy 6 get 1 free). They didn't have any pandas, and the other corys were quite big. But then i spotted a group of 7 small bandit corys, they were labeled as "corydoras metae" so hopefully they are "true" and maybe someone can identify @dw1305. Couldn't resist, they were the perfect size and a group of 7. Had the lights and co2 off yesterday to help them out, so grabbed a quick couple photos of them just now.

I haven't seen all 7 yet, so keeping an eye out to make sure they are good, I have definitely seen 6. They are pretty small probably 2cm and my beach area is pretty big for them so i'm happy. They love sitting on the big crypt leaves, also their face markings match my rams 😉

Also happy to report my male ram and gourami are more active now. The ram seems to be out a lot more over the last couple of days.

Merry Christmas! 😉

IMG_20201224_160515__01.jpg

IMG_20201224_205521__01.jpg

IMG_20201224_185707__01.jpg

Last edited:
I’d say they’re corydoras melini rather than Metae. Not that it makes much difference care for both species is identical. You may get lucky and get them to spawn. I used to keep Metae and fry would turn up all the time without me doing anything special.

cheers

Conor

I’d say they’re corydoras melini rather than Metae. Not that it makes much difference care for both species is identical. You may get lucky and get them to spawn. I used to keep Metae and fry would turn up all the time without me doing anything special.

cheers

Conor
That's what i was thinking after looking at the photos and comparing fish profile photos. But as they were labelled specifically as "corydoras metae" i thought maybe they were, rather than if they were called "bandit corydoras" or "corydoras melini".

I think there is a couple females which are bigger. Hopefully they do spawn, as i do very big water changes weekly with cooler water in general. 😉

They are great little corydoras and as Conor says they are melini not metae. You can tell the difference in the black stripe down the back. In metae it covers the top of the ridge so you get on complete black line but in melini it splits so you get a white base colour on the ridge.
I used to keep a group of metae when I was a kid and they were amazing little fish. They get a chubby profile as they are a higher bodied cory and I think melini have the same characteristic body profile when they fill out.

They are great little corydoras and as Conor says they are melini not metae. You can tell the difference in the black stripe down the back. In metae it covers the top of the ridge so you get on complete black line but in melini it splits so you get a white base colour on the ridge.
I used to keep a group of metae when I was a kid and they were amazing little fish. They get a chubby profile as they are a higher bodied cory and I think melini have the same characteristic body profile when they fill out.
Hi all,

Same for me, due to the shape of the dorsal / caudal black stripe and the peppering of dots on the flanks.

<"Nice fish"> and a good find.

cheers Darrel
Thanks, after taking the photos it was clear comparing them. They are really cool, so glad i have some corys again to grow out. Can't wait to see all 7 to confirm they are good.

I’d recommend some freeze dried blackworm cubes to get them into good condition and flatten them up. They go mad if you stick a cube on the glass next to the substrate. They’re quite expensive but a little goes a long way with them.

cheers

Conor

I’d recommend some freeze dried blackworm cubes to get them into good condition and flatten them up. They go mad if you stick a cube on the glass next to the substrate. They’re quite expensive but a little goes a long way with them.

cheers

Conor
Will try get some, the LFS was running low on frozen foods etc. I've got some frozen mini bloodworms and mosquito larvae left. I tend to feed things that make the least amount of waste or that can remain in my beach area when the filter goes back on.

Back