• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Channelling my inner Filipe - Christmas Corys

Wow Sammy it has really taken shape looks good
Looking good.
Looks great, taken shape really nicely.
Stunning, love this tank :) great job

Thanks guys! Finally coming together, really happy with it at the moment! Really hoping the MC grows this time! I'll leave you with another photo of my beast! 😉🤣
IMG_20200928_204303__01.jpg

Last edited:
Quick update...

Things are going really well, i think the scape is nearly 10 months old! I'm finally getting close to the scape i had envisioned. I think i will be there in a month or so, really looking forward to it.

Since the last update I have properly sorted out the beach area, and have planted MC in the gravel, this time it's looking promising. I have also been daily dosing EI for a month or so after reading that recent thread that popped up and i think it has helped - i was strarting to struggle with the pinnatafida and now its growing really well.

I am still struggling with the S.repens, it is growing a little better but i always have problems with gsa or gda on the leaves, and sometimes its grows stunted and leggy. I have increased PO4 and CO2 but hasn't really helped so i'm going to put it down to being my new nemesis plant 🤣
View attachment 155897
View attachment 155896
View attachment 155899
View attachment 155894
View attachment 155895
View attachment 155898

Will update in a month or so, fingers crossed the MC finally takes and i end up with a "secondary carpet" 🤣
Looking really good 👍

Looks excellent mate, i always struggled with s repens and also monte carlo aswel but seems to be coming together really well looks super healthy.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Looking really good 👍
Thanks Tim 👍

Looks excellent mate, i always struggled with s repens and also monte carlo aswel but seems to be coming together really well looks super healthy.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Cheers, I am determined to succeed in growing MC in my gravel edge. I think i've tried 6 times now, but this time seems to be growing! Fingers crossed 🤞

Looks great and can really see and feel the inspiration in the tank, great job :thumbup:

Fabulous tank - really inspiring and love the GBR too!
Thanks! Love my GBR too, i was looking at my old post when i got him and it's crazy how much he's grown and coloured up.

I'm glad it's going well and i plan to keep the scape for a long time so will see how it does on a long term basis.

I've been looking through my old photos recently and can't believe how much everything has grown 🤯. It's kind of funny (in a weird way) looking back on the early photos, especially looking at the little trident ferns. They are probably 25x bigger now, i don't think i've ever trimmed them 😀. The H.pinnatifida has gone crazy, it's actually holding my hardscape together now 🤣. I kind of hate that you can't see much of the rocks anymore, something i hadn't considered. 🤔

IMG_20200203_182150.jpg

IMG_20201031_205042__01.jpg

Looks amazing!

How do you keep Detritus and Mulm from accumulating under all that thick/bushy plant growth? Also, do you clean the rocks and wood frequently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks amazing!

How do you keep Detritus and Mulm from accumulating under all that thick/bushy plant growth? Also, do you clean the rocks and wood frequently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I rarely clean the rocks and wood anymore, mainly because i can barely see any rock. The wood is pretty flexible so i tend not to clean often, if i get bba on the wood luckily nearly all the wood can be exposed during a water change and i can drip some easy carbo om the effected areas.

On the detritus front i'm quite aggressive, i put my hands through the trident ferns to get any detritus in to the water column and try rip out old leaves from underneath. I wave my hands aggressively everywhere and try get the trapped crap out from the tight spaces. Then i do big water changes, probably 85% once a week.

I've been looking through my old photos recently and can't believe how much everything has grown 🤯. It's kind of funny (in a weird way) looking back on the early photos, especially looking at the little trident ferns. They are probably 25x bigger now, i don't think i've ever trimmed them 😀. The H.pinnatifida has gone crazy, it's actually holding my hardscape together now 🤣. I kind of hate that you can't see much of the rocks anymore, something i hadn't considered. 🤔

View attachment 157184
View attachment 157185
I love the last photo, with the gladiatorial Ram prowling around his very own Collosseum.... 'Are you not entertained?' I hear him cry!

Last edited:
Quick update.....

Thing are still going well, still trying to figure out the weird daily rotala colour change. I have increased FE and MG as they are more likely to be the reason than macros (i hope).

I have also decreased CO2 (wish me luck 🤣) as i have noticed my male ram has started hiding for the 1st half of the photoperiod, and my "red robin" gourami have looked sluggish and breathing really slowly.

Just trimmed and replanted half the rotala on sunday as i had been trimming for shape recently and got to the point where they needed to be trimmed short.
IMG_20201208_184337__01.jpg

IMG_20201208_185701__01.jpg

IMG_20201208_184249__01__01.jpg

I have been considering getting a group of small corys, i miss keeping them and would really love like 6 or 8 maybe julii?. But i've always talked myself out of it because i feel like the sand area isn't big enough, even though they swim about everywhere in general. What do you think? Yes or no? 🤔🤔🤔

Back