• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Changing lights to LEDs

Bhavik

atm i have a fluval roma 200 with 2 x 30 watts t8s and was having a look at the fluval aquasky led and was thinking of getting one of the strips and replacing it with one of the t8s so i have one led and one t8 running on the tank.

would that provide enough light for my plants?

atm i have
water wistera
2 different types of amazon swords
ludwigia red
java fern
vals
red tiger lotus
stargrass
mirco swords
dwarf sag
Hygrophila corymbosa
crinum natans

Personally i would go for the Fluval Planted 2, if you want a led light from Fluval.

Michel.

Yeah I've had a look at that but it's quite a bit for my tank around £200 where as the aqua sky is around £83.

Wouldn't the aquasky work for my plants and tank?

I run the Fresh & Plant 2 and haven't looked back. I considered the Aquasky but would have needed two for my tank. I also realised I'd never use most of the features. F&P works well.

Oh ok so you think you could post a picture of your tank just want to see how good the lights are and also what size tank do you have?
I have a fluval Roma 200.
Do you get good lighting at the substrate as well?

Do you know if if the fresh and plant 2 has the attachments to put it into the t8s like the aquasky?

are your plants growing well?

Also size/watts light would i need if i went for this light?
Its a 200 litre tank

Last edited:
Currently running mine at 70-75% intensity. Plants doing a whole lot better than under the T8s.

IMG_5016.JPG

It's a self-contained unit and not compatible with the existing Roma fittings. If you want to retain a covered setup then simply cut some walled polycarbonate panels and rest them in the recesses of the top.

Hi thanks for the pictures your tank looks great!
im assuming that is the only light you are running?

how big is your tank and which watt light would you suggest for a 200 litre tank?

atm i need 36" t8s

Oh ok no I was just asking to see if I could get a away with getting the 32watt one with is 34 inch or if I would have to get the 46 watt one which is 36inch+

The wifi unit is quite a bit was thinking of putting it in a normal timer unit would that work?

Also is there anyone that uses the fluval aquasky? Could someone give me some feedback as to how those lights are?

I've got the aquasky over a Roma 200. If you forgo the gimmicky settings and just use the main light then it's a decent budget unit.
I run liquid carbon with crypts and ferns and anubias, some valis and rotala and they are all growing perfectly well.
Admittedly the aquasky isn't a full on plant growth led unit but will grow most low light plants perfectly well and some into the medium level with less than perfect results.
I suppose it depends what you are after from your setup

What do you mean by the gimmicky setting?

What I was thinking is using the led light and one t8 tube as I am planning on adding the led light to the hood of the lighting fixture so will run one of each

The plants I have are
Water wisteria
2 different types of Amazon swords
Ludwigia red
Java fern
Red tiger lotus
Crinum natans
Hydrophila
Dwarf sag
Mirco sword

So would that light work and grow these plants?
I do dose liquid ferts and carbon as well
I would say it's a medium to low tank setup

Gimmicky settings such as the thunderstorms effects, the cloudy day effects etc.

A T8 and an LED would be pretty much the same for low light plants mostly I'd say, medium plants likely would survive and grow, just not very fast.

So if i were to go with the aquasky and one t8 in the fixture will i be able to grow the plants that i have listed?
i mean i dont think i will be trying to grow any plant that is high light. will just be sticking to low to medium light plants.

Is the aquasky not powerful enough to grow plants? also would there be quite a bit of light reaching the substrate for the micro swords?

You'll have enough light to grow what you have listed, just don't expect rapid full growth. I have two aquasky over my 200 and only have anubias, ferns and crypts. Rotala was doing ok but seems to have given up, just to give you an idea of what to expect.

oh ok fine which Rotala are you growing?
does it require medium or high light?

Rotundifolia. It can be grown in most light conditions, just with varying degrees of success and speed depending upon light, co2 and nutrients.
It grew fine on my tank with T8s and for a while with the aquasky.
I then did a rescape and it hasn't really grown since.
I'm not certain why but it may be due to its position on the tank and/or transitioning from east life liquid carbon to seachem.

It might be that it was disturbed and also adujusting to the new carbon that your adding as I think excel is stronger

But in your opinion would you say me getting the aquasky be worth it and will grow my plants fine or would you say I go for the plant 2.0?

If you can afford it, get the proper plant LED, always worth doing as provides more scope.
I use aquasky as I have no intentions of going back full high tech as it's too much for my schedule with work etc. Aquasky enough for my needs but I have had high tech before and it's enjoyable and allows full range of plants to be used, I used the Fluval plant LED on my fresh 60 tank with co2 but it proved too high maintenance.

Back