• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Centrepiece fish 60L

BJK83

I’m looking for suggestions for a non-aggressive centrepiece fish to add to my 60L planted tank. Currently have 10 neon tetra and 11 RCS.
Thanks

Most of what I'd have suggested may be unsuitable with shrimp in a 60 l.
Perhaps some Endlers?
Yeah this is my issue, I recently had to take a German ram back to the LFS because it was eating my shrimp, beautiful fish but terrorised the shrimp to death.
Trouble is I would have to have a fair few endlers and I don’t really want to stock heavily. I do love endlers though!

Hi all,

Do you need to be able to see it? A thought occurs that a fish <"like L397"> might do? You just won't see it very often.

cheers Darrel
Great looking fish. It doesn’t necessarily need to be all that visible but unfortunately my 60L wouldn’t be spacious enough for him. Thanks for the interesting suggestion though 👍

I'd go with a honey gourami. Especially a wild type male!
Super friendly, swims at the top a lot but will visit all areas, never touched my shrimps or tetras.

31eb866e886c4b31c018d4a6e23cc86f.jpg

179ebb341357d39dbaabd94a6f50d5d8.jpg

First picture is my wild type male, second picture is my yellow/sunset male and a wild type female.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd go with a honey gourami. Especially a wild type male!
Super friendly, swims at the top a lot but will visit all areas, never touched my shrimps or tetras.

31eb866e886c4b31c018d4a6e23cc86f.jpg

179ebb341357d39dbaabd94a6f50d5d8.jpg

First picture is my wild type male, second picture is my yellow/sunset male and a wild type female.

Thanks for the recommendation, definitely something to consider, those wild colours are amazing

Thanks for the recommendation, definitely something to consider, those wild colours are amazing

I absolutely love them. It's difficult to find the wild type ones. Sometimes MA will stock them but most of the time they only have the yellow ones. Don't get me wrong the yellow ones are beautiful too.
I had to call 5 different MA and drive 60miles to get them.
The staff there said honey gouramis are his favourite fish and he knew a lot about them. When young male and females look almost the same (silverish brown). He spent quite some time trying to get me 1 male and 3 females. I also got the yellow male just to make sure i have at least one definite male. For 2 weeks they looked the same. Then they coloured up. (Turned out I got 2 wild males and 2 wild females)

I have mine in a 220L tank as centrepiece (?). Well I have a group of them and they behave like a shoaling species.

Also have a single female in a 54L tank for a couple of years now. She is a bit shy but again never bothered anyone.

What substrate do you have? If sand, a group of the smaller substrate dwelling corydoras like habrosus would be nice. If you want something more mid water C.pygmaeus or hastatus won't bother shrimp.
If you want a more 'standout' centrepiece, some of the smaller rainbows like P.luminatus, P.gertrudae or Iriatherina werneri (threadfins)make a nice display. I've not kept them threadfins personally as they always look a bit washed out in shops but comments made by @dw1305 have made me add them to my 'one day' list.

Hi all,
I've not kept them threadfins personally as they always look a bit washed out in shops but comments made by @dw1305 have made me add them to my 'one day' list.
I <"really enjoyed mine">, if I could find any females I might have another go with them. They are another "nano" fish that does better in a bigger tank.
I've not kept them threadfins personally as they always look a bit washed out in shops
It is the curse of the <"iridescent blue fish">. Apistogramma trifasciata was the one <"I thought was going to give me a trickle of income">, but it all <"turned to ashes">.

l
I_werneri_49.jpg

cheers Darre

Last edited:
Back