• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Celestial pearl danio

doobiw55 said:
I know its not a great photo but thought i would share it, 6815833780_0fcf7d76d3_b.jpg
DSC00584 by doobiw55, on Flickr

Its a good photo mate, it made me look at everthing in it :) and the red/brown crypts, is that wendtii brown or something else ? It looks awesome.

doobiw55 said:
Bargain!! May I ask from where?

Its a special price for me, lol. (Since he keeps me permanently poor, he has worked out if he does deals for me I buy stuff all the time :rolleyes: ). His usual price is about twice that. But its one of the LFS's down here. If you like I can see if he would ship some if you are interested ?

Antipofish said:
I have just arranged for some to be ordered for me. Wait for it.....

ONE POUND FIFTY EACH !!!!

Yes, £1.50
o_O You jammy git :thumbup: :rolleyes:
Come on tell us.

hogan53 said:
Antipofish said:
I have just arranged for some to be ordered for me. Wait for it.....

ONE POUND FIFTY EACH !!!!

Yes, £1.50
o_O You jammy git :thumbup: :rolleyes:
Come on tell us.

I spend a lot of money there, but lets put it this way, they cost a LOT less than what I am paying for them so the £5 price tag in some LFS's is frankly outrageous. Its the new black syndrome of course. Galaxy Rasboras are the new Cardinals, lol.

Antipofish said:
Its a good photo mate, it made me look at everthing in it :) and the red/brown crypts, is that wendtii brown or something else ? It looks awesome.

Thanks mate, I'm unsure what sort of crypt it is... So It could be lol

Antipofish said:
doobiw55 said:
Bargain!! May I ask from where?

Its a special price for me, lol. (Since he keeps me permanently poor, he has worked out if he does deals for me I buy stuff all the time :rolleyes: ). His usual price is about twice that. But its one of the LFS's down here. If you like I can see if he would ship some if you are interested ?

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'm running out of tank space at the moment! How many have you coming?

darren636 said:
where as you based antipofish?,

Eastbourne, "Suntrap of the South" lol. (for my sins).

And I have ordered 15 :)

man. That is a crazy price. Well done that man :)

darren636 said:
man. That is a crazy price. Well done that man :)

Hehe, its almost worth ordering a 100 and flogging the rest :) But i don't really wanna go down that road.

they are nice but I observed they start to harras each other and later only few strong males and females survive and the rest males or females health deteriorate over time, get weak, get sick.. die. So not sure if very large shoal would fix it or less in bigger tank. Does anybody have same experience?

plantbrain said:
George Farmer said:
The trickiest fish I've ever photographed!

6790538914_0f4f74ec6e_b.jpg
celestial by George Farmer, on Flickr

SOB's hide like ghost.

You bet. I got 10 on a 30 tank heavily planted with moss and ferns, lots of wood and I never see them.

Added 8 embers to see if the fish are less shy.

Radik said:
they are nice but I observed they start to harras each other and later only few strong males and females survive and the rest males or females health deteriorate over time, get weak, get sick.. die. So not sure if very large shoal would fix it or less in bigger tank. Does anybody have same experience?

I've heard males can squabble over territory. I've had 2M's+4F's in a 28l nano for over 12 months. No casualties or bullying going on, all still fit and healthy.

Will be attempting a breeding program in the summer if I can net the critters. :thumbup:

ghostsword said:
You bet. I got 10 on a 30 tank heavily planted with moss and ferns, lots of wood and I never see them.

Added 8 embers to see if the fish are less shy.

I added a few young guppies to the cpd tank. It seems to have settled them and drawn them out a little after a month or so.

plantbrain said:
George Farmer said:
SOB's hide like ghost.

Seriously. I have to be completely still for 2-3 minutes if I want to see them.

Radik said:

I have 2 males and 2 females and they're constantly chasing each other. Don't know how ferocious it gets though, no sign of nipped fins or other damage.

You're right about the shrimp though. Had loads of berried fire reds recently, seen lots of fry.

Absolutely no juveniles so far.

At the same time I swear the CPDs have increased in size by about a third and their colour is much stronger now. Enjoying the live food no doubt. :twisted:

A couple more shots of these fascinating little fish.

I bought a dozen Danio choprae (glowlight danio) after reading that these interact well together and I haven't been disappointed. The celestials are much braver and enter open water far more frequently and the little skirmishes that ensue between the fish are brilliant as they defend territories etc.

However, the autofocus still isn't up to capturing these due to their darting behaviour whenever I approach the tank. I use manual focus with plenty of trial and error after remaning motionless for a couple of minutes . I feel a bit like a sniper.

100mm, f/4, 1/400 sec, ISO 1600, lit with aquarium lighting.

7035033303_68fbfcdab0_c.jpg
celestial2 by George Farmer, on Flickr

7035032889_51c5fb7bf0_c.jpg
celestial and araguaia by George Farmer, on Flickr

Hi guys, I just bought 12 of these wee guys and they're great. I'm going to attempt to breed them, does anyone know roughly at what age/size these fish can reproduce at? Mine are pretty small but most of them are quite colourful with good markings, I'm just trying to determine if they're old enough to start trying to breed them or if I'll need to wait for a while. Any advice would be much appreaciated :)

Back