• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cautionary Tales from an Idiot

Time for, looks at the calendar, weekly update!

So I really, REALLY didn't enjoy the sprite version of the tank, you know where it looks like carbonated water during CO2 hours? So I bought this: External Turbo CO2 Reactor - for 12/16mm Hose and attached it to the pump. So far I am REALLY impressed with this, it has worked a dream and the tank looks a lot less like it was on the boil. I have also achieved a greater pH drop, and my co2 monitor is looking more yellowy (and my fish are not gasping!). Not that I have any clout but totes would recommend if you have any tiny bubbly issues!

I have also added on a second pump which goes on between 11pm-8am. To be clear: I have a 900lph pump on 24/7 as well. Now I must say that this does not have ANY basis in science (as far as I am aware) but my more powerful pump is REALLY noisy, and I wanted to achieve a greater filter rate, so I figured this is a good compromise. The flow I have set so it doesn't stress the fish out during these "power hours" but it also means that I can watch TV without going deaf. This may not help, but certainly is making the tank look less like there are suspended particles.

Lets get onto the shot you all want:

PXL_20210814_153845114.jpg

The rotala are growing really well ... too well infact. I think that I will have to trim these at some point, however the higher leaves are developing into a more defined leave than the bottom, so I don't want to do it too soon.

The java moss looks great - I am glad I used two types on each branch as I really like the contrast between them!

Now onto some issues:

This plant, which I cant remember the name of because I have it written in a book downstairs has started to get melting translucent spots in the centre. Now I think it COULD be from previous issues sorting itself out, but should I be worried?

PXL_20210814_153922270.jpg

Thanks for the info.
When people talk about 10x flow rate, are they talking about flow rate listed on the pump, or the effective flow rate after sponges? If it is the latter how would I measure it.

My pump is rated 1200lph, with a tank size of 90L. I have the pump approx 3/4 open (as accurate as my eyes can do). Any higher it gets rather noisy.
They are referring to the flow rate listed on the filter. I think you'll find the actual flow rate is significantly less (approximately half what is advertised) when the filter is filled up.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hi, how's it going? Any update on the Ammannia / Nesaea crassicaulis ? Would love to see it colour up after it adapts to your tank.

Back