• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

catching live food

That's weird, but cool!

On the subject - does anyone have any tips on sorting live food? I was catching daphnia today but none of my fish can fit the largest ones in their mouths.

That's weird, but cool!

On the subject - does anyone have any tips on sorting live food? I was catching daphnia today but none of my fish can fit the largest ones in their mouths.

Two questions
1. What was weird about it? :))
2. About largest ones. I guess it is ok - the will eventually die, decompose, whatever :) I mean in my experience it was always ok - nothing wrong from some % not eaten alive :)

You used to be able to buy livefood sieves in a set of different mesh sizes, but I haven't seen any for years. You can probably find something suitable in the kitchen section of a pound shop or other cheap place.
Or put the big daphnia in the tank anyway and your fish can eat the babies they produce later.

Hi all,
I was catching daphnia today but none of my fish can fit the largest ones in their mouths.
I used to get a really big ones some-times, they would get caught in the surface film, but I can't remember their scientific name.

The fish might try a bit harder with the bigger ones when all the little ones have gone. A lot of fish will just suck the contents out of the Daphnia, and discard the carapace, particularly when you feed Daphnia frequently. If you feed a mix of Daphnia and Cyclops the Cyclops are definitely the preferred food option, even though they take a bit more effort to catch. If you add in some Ostracods (Seed shrimps) a lot of fish won't eat them at all and they have a really chunky carapace

Apparently Polyphemus doesn't have a carapace, which should make them pretty palatable, but I can't tell from @chka's video how keen the fish were on them?
livefood sieves in a set of different mesh sizes.You can probably find something suitable in the kitchen section of a pound shop or other cheap place.
I actually use a cheap nylon tea strainer, the type you get from a "pound shop".

cheers Darrel

1. What was weird about it? :)

The general arrangement of the body parts - google suggests that's a giant eye on the front! Might just be you don't usually get to see live food so close up!

...but I can't tell from @chka's video how keen the fish were on them? I actually use a cheap nylon tea strainer, the type you get from a "pound shop".

cheers Darrel

In both tanks with danio maragaritatus they finished them by now. In the tank with boraras merah they still crowded, but I over feed it in there big time :). Looks like fishes like them :)

The general arrangement of the body parts - google suggests that's a giant eye on the front! Might just be you don't usually get to see live food so close up!

All of them looks cool in differnt ways when close up :)

Last edited:
Back