• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Carpet

WiggyH

Having recently planted up my Micrathemum, I have the (almost daily) problem of the plant floating away from the substrate, and having to re-plant.
I have Tropica Soil which has the grains at about 3-4mm about 1 inch to 1.5inches in that area, with a thin layer of Tropica Substrate below.
I'm thinking it might be the grain size being too large for the new roots to grip. I think my shrimp are not helping. So was going to try topping up the level with the powder variety. Was also thinking of fishing line and shot weights to hold it down.
Any advice.

Having recently planted up my Micrathemum, I have the (almost daily) problem of the plant floating away from the substrate, and having to re-plant.
I have Tropica Soil which has the grains at about 3-4mm about 1 inch to 1.5inches in that area, with a thin layer of Tropica Substrate below.
I'm thinking it might be the grain size being too large for the new roots to grip. I think my shrimp are not helping. So was going to try topping up the level with the powder variety. Was also thinking of fishing line and shot weights to hold it down.
Any advice.
Don't be afraid to plant down quite deep, even if only a little green is showing that's usually enough I've found to get plants established.

After having planted up for a week now, and spent some time just watching the behaviour of my tank inhabitants, it appears that my Amano shrimp are the problem.
They are doing the same to my Eleocharis, and my Micrathemum.
I watch as the rummage around in the substrate and snip away at the new roots, which cause the new plants to float away. Looking at the floating plants shows very little root left.
I'm struggling with my carpet. The area is only 15 x 25 cm, yet there is almost nothing left from 2 x tropica tissue culture pots of the Eleo, and a pot of the Micrathemum.
Anybody else had the problem. I only have 4 Amanos, yet the damage is impressive. They don't seem to touch the other plants.
This could get expensive, or what else can I do.

After having planted up for a week now, and spent some time just watching the behaviour of my tank inhabitants, it appears that my Amano shrimp are the problem.
They are doing the same to my Eleocharis, and my Micrathemum.
I watch as the rummage around in the substrate and snip away at the new roots, which cause the new plants to float away. Looking at the floating plants shows very little root left.
I'm struggling with my carpet. The area is only 15 x 25 cm, yet there is almost nothing left from 2 x tropica tissue culture pots of the Eleo, and a pot of the Micrathemum.
Anybody else had the problem. I only have 4 Amanos, yet the damage is impressive. They don't seem to touch the other plants.
This could get expensive, or what else can I do.
Are you sure it's not melting away? It's quite common for tissue culture to have some melt, especially with new soil.

Are you feeding the shrimps, they much prefer blanched nettle/courgette/mulberry leaves etc.. along with various dedicated shrimp food, to plants?

Back