• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Carpet trimming - the clean up

DaveWatkin

Hey guys,

First time I've managed a good thick carpet and enjoying it.

Only trimmed it once so far which went fine but a week and a half later there are still some stray petals appearing floating around and that's after numerous waterchanges removing trimming.

What are your tips and tricks for removing the trimmings and getting the tank clean again?

I use a small sieve to skim cuttings and loose leaves off the surface (with the pump/filter switched off):

Amazon product ASIN B00J4PAT4Y
51q0DfxUgBL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

You can probably find one at the supermarket or one of the 'pound' stores for less. You can use a small fish net too, but I find the sieve easier to empty out - just a quick tap on the edge of the bin.

I assume you're turning your filter off during the trimming too?

Yeah filter off.

I used a net last time but it's a nightmare getting the trimmings out the net, they just stick to everything haha. Sieve seems like a sensible idea.

any tips for getting the bits stuck around the water edges/on the glass? I just went round and round with a small sponge last time trying to get off what i could.

I was thinking a miniaturised pool skimmer style tool, half net/half sieve but not found one anywhere. Anyone seen these before?

Found it: Spoon Sieve like they use in deep fat fryers. Should do a good job, will report back!

I was thinking a miniaturised pool skimmer style tool, half net/half sieve but not found one anywhere. Anyone seen these before?

Do you mean flat rather than concave? Have a search for 'square skimmers'. This came up on Amazon for me, but a bit more searching might produce something better:

1614156390782.png

When doing 500l allow plenty of time, sometimes best done in two/three sessions. As for 50l pot scape I just lift the pots out, trim, submerge in sink all loose trimmings float to surface clean pot place back in tank.

Filter off :thumbup:

Hi all,
I use a small sieve to skim cuttings and loose leaves off the surface (with the pump/filter switched off):
I'm a <"tea strainer fan"> as well.
You can probably find one at the supermarket or one of the 'pound' stores for less. You can use a small fish net too, but I find the sieve easier to empty out - just a quick tap on the edge of the bin.
Yes, from a "pound shop" for me.

cheers Darrel

I just use my eheim skim350 for this, it works perfect. Last few bits that are stuck on the glass you can run your finger by them and the skimmer will take care of them.

Back