• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Carpet plants are turning yellow in new tank.

Nivid

I planted my tank about a week ago and I noticed that more and more carpet plants are turning yellow. I have no idea ehat is causing this since they are planted in aquasoil, have 24C, nitrogen dosing every day, CO2 and everything I can think of. The species is Eleocharis mini. I planted the tank relatively densely. It may be important to note that this is mainly happening on one side which is the one close to the CO2 output and also when I got the plants (in vitro) some cups had yellow leaves. All other plants are doing just fine and even started growing. What I am also seeing is that some of the carpeting plants have bacteria strings going off of them. It is a new tank and I did add bacteria necessary and that kinda led to a bacterial bloom. Thanks for all help. The picture of the green plants is to show how they looked like when I first planted them. You can see that some grass blades are a little yellow but nothing too crazy.

Attachments

• IMG_2937.jpeg
    IMG_2937.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2938.jpeg
    IMG_2938.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2939.jpeg
    IMG_2939.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2940.png
    IMG_2940.png
    4 MB · Views: 49
Hi.

I think your plants are transitioning from emersed growth to submerged. I’ve been reading a bit about this recently and is quite common, particularly on cryptocoryne but can also happen to other species.

Wait until someone else comes along to either confirm or call me an idiot, but I think the method is to cut the old emersed grown leaves off and let it grow new leaves suited to submerged growth. By doing this the plant stops wasting energy on trying to transition the existing leaves and puts that energy into new growth.

Bit late but lab grown plant like invitro shouldnt have yellow leaves so avoid. A liquid fertiliser with all essential nutrients, and think they can struggle ,so a soil powder helps their delicate root structure. Think they might recover

Thanks a lot. I will try to cut them and see how it goes. I pulled out too since the were dead completely and they had some sort of root structure growing which is good. Also looking at some that are close to the glass and I can see that new leaves are green. Thanks for the help and tips. I will see how it goes and worst case scenario I might just buy some easier to grow carpet plants.

Back