• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Carnivorous plant dormancy

Nont

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if it is necessary to put Sarracenia or Dionaea in dormant in a tropical country? Where I live is very hot throughout the year (presumebly 30c plus) even in the “winter”.

Hi all,

I think they probably need a cool rest period. It might be to do with food availability. Could you get a Nepenthes instead?

cheers Darrel
I just have a look around one of Thai carnivorous plant website and it mentioned that dormancy isn’t needed in the hot area, but they will grow at slower rate.

The reason I want Sarracenia is because it can be use as a marginal, like @Kezzab ‘s Messing about thread
can you suggest any other carnivorous that tolerate wet feet besides Utricularia?

can you suggest any other carnivorous that tolerate wet feet besides Utricularia?
How wet are we talking? If you can plant them above the waterline in moss or similar, some Nepenthes and Pinguiculas should do fine. But if the bottom of the plant is sitting in water then the only ones I could think of are maybe Drosera capensis or lowland Heliamphora (and definitely not sure about the last, and it's going to be rarer than hens teeth...).

I don't think they will need a dormant rest period. So long as the light intensity is consistently good throughout the year they will do fine.

Barry Rice has a great website and wrote several books and publications about carnivorous plants.

He claims, in general, dormancy is up to the plant itself. Usually, when it stops making new traps is a sign it's preparing for dormancy and then you should give it a proper set-up cool resting period or else it will most likely die.

Back