• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can't get temperature down

Nautilus143

I'm in the south east where it's now pretty warm. My tank's water temperature has shot up to 27C which I think is a bit warm for my guppies really (I have guppies, honey gourami, and amano shrimp). I've tried unplugging the heater, leaving the lid half off, and opening the window in the room, but nothing has helped. I'm thinking I could float an ice pack in there, but it's not a good long term solution. My tank gets no direct sunlight at all (in fact, it's in the coolest room in the house for this reason) so that's not the reason for overheating. Any thoughts? It's not even THAT hot yet so I'm not sure what I'll do when we get to 30C+ temps.

I've been doing extra 10% daily water changes for the last week to bring temperature down from 26.5⁰c to 25.5⁰c. The fish seem to appreciate the small addition of cold water.

Hi,
This is working well for me:
Amazon product ASIN B07FCJGZ4HCheers,
bazz
Looks interesting, thank you!
I've been doing extra 10% daily water changes for the last week to bring temperature down from 26.5⁰c to 25.5⁰c. The fish seem to appreciate the small addition of cold water.
That's a good idea, thanks! I topped up with cold water this morning and the fish seemed to enjoy that.

Any sort of fan blowing plenty of air across the water surface works well, I used a standard desk fan last year, and it brought the temps right down after a few hours. It does increase evaporation though so you’ll need to do more top ups.

I understand the worry but my tank is in the hottest room in the house, gets direct sun from midday till sunset and has glass lids. I do have the heater set to 22c but the tank has got up to 28-29c for a while over the last two summers and to tell you the truth the plants and fish seem to love it (shrimps not impressed though). I wouldn't be overly concerned by 27c as long as it's relatively stable, fluctuating temperatures are more a problem for our tank inhabitants, provided they aren't cool water species.
Oxygenation is the biggest thing I'd consider so make sure you have good surface agitation.

The fans suggested above are probably the simplest and best way to try and keep things cool and they have the benefit of being able to maintain a slightly lower than ambient temperature.

Last edited:
My house is fairly cool, but in the previous home I would freeze a number of 500ml plastic bottles of water and swap them out every morning/eve.
Not the most stable of options but 31c was far too hot for the inhabitants I had.

Back