• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cant Eliminate Smell, about to give up, Please Help

hogan53 said:
hogan53 said:
Hi
Have checked for any leaks....sounds like stagnant water smell.
Or your filter isnt mature enough.
hoggie

Mature enough for what ? I have nothing in the tank apart from substrate, water, and a java fern :(

Alastair said:
I can't see why it would be the cat litter that is causing the smell. There's a lot of people on here that use it, myself included and I've never experienced this smell from it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know Alastair, and you have also said that aquabasis+ should not smell and people have told me they use that too without any smell. So WTF is causing it !!!??? LOL

I doubt it would be stagnant water this early. I have a tank sitting in my room which has been there for over a month with just soil and water in.

Morgan Freeman said:
I doubt it would be stagnant water this early. I have a tank sitting in my room which has been there for over a month with just soil and water in.

It cant be stagnant water. The water currently in the tank has not been in it for more than 24hours lol

Morgan Freeman said:
Hi
I should have been more specific....meaning is there any damp on the floor....carpet.
hoggie

hogan53 said:
Morgan Freeman said:
Hi
I should have been more specific....meaning is there any damp on the floor....carpet.
hoggie

LOL no but thanks for the suggestion

You can always run around outside the house naked this time of year, get a cold and voilà your smelly tank issues are gone. :)

Mike

Hi
I would check for condensation mould on your walls or in your cupboards....behind curtains etc.
This mould gives off a musky smell.
Strange how its only appeared since you set up the aquarium.
hoggie

hogan53 said:
Morgan Freeman said:
Hi
hoggie

Ooops, my mistake.

hogan53 said:
Hi
I would check for condensation mould on your walls or in your cupboards....behind curtains etc.
hoggie

Is your tank open topped and how close to the wall is it - just following on from the above thought that the tank is causing damp in your room...

PeteA said:
hogan53 said:
Hi
hoggie

Is your tank open topped and how close to the wall is it - just following on from the above thought that the tank is causing damp in your room...
Cheers Pete
That's what i was trying to get at....although the fellow stated that the smell was in the tank also :?
If his room doesn't have some sort of air circulation and its a cold room it could cause damp issues.
hoggie

It's probably some sort of bacteria breading in there. The pp idea sounds good, so does the tank restart, by I'd probably be inclined just power on with the tank and hope that by adding plants you start to remove whatever the bacteria are feeding on... That's probably bad advice though...

hogan53 said:
Hi
hoggie

No problems like that thanks

RIGHT !
After much deliberation, cogitation, discussion and confusion, consensus is that I have no option but to pull the cat litter out. I will add a post on my tank journal... http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=18899 to update anyone who is interested in exactly what I will be doing and the results. Despite other peoples success with cat litter I am sad to say that for one reason or another it has definitely not worked for me :(

I suppose that it might be some strange reaction between the cat litter and your soil? Can't imagine why this would do this. I did a lot of research on using cat litter before I went for it and the impression I got was that it was normally used on its own, or with another inert substrate. Put the extracted litter to one side because if it doesn't make any difference then it can go back in!

PeteA said:
I suppose that it might be some strange reaction between the cat litter and your soil? Can't imagine why this would do this. I did a lot of research on using cat litter before I went for it and the impression I got was that it was normally used on its own, or with another inert substrate. Put the extracted litter to one side because if it doesn't make any difference then it can go back in!

Hi, I am pretty sure Alastair has used AB+ with cat litter. And I have read others using it in combination. Being "inert" should mean you can use it in conjunction with anything else and have no contra effect. So yep, its very odd. Wont be putting it anywhere other than in the bin though because sadly the whole experience has soured my impression of the stuff and I could never happily put it in an aquarium of mine again. Bit like when I drank too many Pernod and Blackcurrants when I was 17. Never touched the stuff ever since :oops:

So seriously, I have 1.5 bags of used and 1.5 bags of unused cat litter here if anyone wants them in exchange for one potted plant ;)

UPDATE:

OK so I am going to take the cat litter out. I am also going to take the aquabasis+ out temporarily so that I can fully clean the tank. It was brand new from the shop so all I did was wipe it round with a damp cloth. In hindsight I might have needed to give it a proper clean. What do you all think ? Was my oversight there likely to contribute ?

That being the case, what is the best way to clean a bare tank ?

ADDITIONAL UPDATE:

Having syphoned out the cat litter into a bucket and smelled the bucket with the cat litter in (no water) and the tank with the aquabasis plus, I can now categorically state that the smell was coming from the cat litter !!!! Its obviously the case that this works for some and not for others. Perhaps they added something different to my batch, perhaps it reacted oddly with my water and the combo of the AB+, who knows. I guess we will never know as we/I can hardly write to the manufacturer and ask them to explain why their cat litter did not prove a successful aquarium substrate, LOL.

Anyway I now have a tank with some dirt in the bottom that does not smell. I intend to keep it and use it. I am going to remove it to a bucket and clean the tank (I am just going to use warm water unless anyone knows better, but please confirm or suggest the "right" way if I am wrong in this approach).

QUESTION: Is it ok to leave this AB+ damp in a bucket for a few days, or does it need more water or what ?

Now I have to decide what alternative substrate to go for...... :rolleyes:

Thanks for all of everyones input on this 'saga'. It has been very much appreciated and probably the only thing that has kept me sane and from melting the tank down to make an ornament ! hehe. Do please monitor the progress of my tank on my journal. Your continued interest and input will be very welcome :) http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=18899&p=194094#p194094

Back