• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Canon 5D Mark III

That's a pretty big price hike for what looks like a fairly standard model evolution.

If I was investing from scratch I have to say that the Nikon D800 looks a much better buy right now. 5d3 will probably edge it for high ISO work though I guess, but then I doubt the D800 will be too shabby either, despite the massive MP count.

At least they're significantly different enough to make it interesting! 5d3 still doesn't look anywhere near the same value for money though.

I don't think the 5D3 is really aimed at competing with the Nikon D800. They are very different beasts.

Nikon are purely a camera manufacturer. Canon are multimedia.

I think this is reflected in Canon's superior video capability, especially with this model now. I can see this being almost industry standard for video.

Some may say 'jack of all trades master of none' but I think Canon are very clever with this release. They've listened to the requests about not ramping up megapixels too much and improving the autofocus of the 5D2. I bet the noise handling is incredible too.

Nikon's D800 is more aimed at competing with the medium format market, hence the 36MP. Honestly, how many DSLR users really need 36MP?

Canon aren't after groundbreaking moves like this with the Mark III, but improving on what is already a great camera.

I agree the £3,000 is rather steep but of course this will drop significantly. A 5D2 can be bought for £1,400 new now and was £2,500 when released.

Anyway, I suspect I'll stick with my 50D until it dies, by which point a 5D2 will be very affordable, and still an excellent camera.

I wonder if Sony will make their own version of the sensor they make for the Nikon D800, I bet it will be a lot £ess if they do ... :D

And hopefully a better range of lenses, that kept me from saving for the a77 :)

5Dii vs 5Diii review:

5D mark III | c300

I would've liked only four things with the new 5D:
- autofocus
- full manual focus assist (it comes with Magic Lantern though ...)
- true 1080p 60fps
- swivel screen ... I shoot macro ...

But the ISO is great ...

DigitalRevTV Review:

Mike

George Farmer said:
Nikon's D800 is more aimed at competing with the medium format market, hence the 36MP.

It seems that the D800 lab results are pretty astounding.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Public ... erformance

At the end of the day, none of these factors matter a great deal to the final image, but higher quality kit is a pleasure to work with.

Dave Spencer said:
At the end of the day, none of these factors matter a great deal to the final image, but higher quality kit is a pleasure to work with.

True :). Pity DxO didn't include the 5Diii in the test.

Anyway here's Philip's new review:

I kinda like these over synthetic tests

LE: Digithingy review .. the VS

Mike

BigTom said:
Good review and IQ comparison of D800 vs 5D3, 5D2, D700, etc

http://mansurovs.com/nikon-d800-review

D800 is simply a monster, better performance than 5D3 at all ISOs, despite 36MP.

Tom, thats an impressive difference ! Its such a shame the D800 is only 4fps though :( Would the differences in those test pics actually show in most every day images ? It seems they are all pretty damn good at ISO's up to 800 yes ?

I'll add comment to this thread once I post my aquarium related review of the 5D MKIII.

Leaving this with you as reference, I've owned a 5D MKIII since the day the camera became available. I've owned all the Nikon D3 series cameras since switching to digital.

No longer do I own a Nikon system, even after using the D800 and weighing my options for a few months.

If you have any questions that you would like to see answered in a aquarium photography specific review, please feel free to ask in this thread, I'll do my best to answer.

Back