• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

canon 350d best lens ?

hey there im a camera novice...

have been reading on here that alot of members have suggested that a second hand 350d would make a great starter camera.

couple of questions ... if i bought a 350d body, then bought a good lens to suit, if i got any good and wanted to upgrade the body would i need new lenses or are the interchangeable between models?

seen a lot on ebay around the £150 mark, what lens for a beginner would you reccomend to go with this?

sorry to ask such easy to read about answers, but i have found that whatever tech i have bought in the past the expert views and reviews are sometimes misleading! And trusting the advice here thought i would ask :D

cheers dave

Re: canon 350d ?????????

I was thinking along the exact same lines as you. But I don't have a clue about DSLR's etc. Would be great if someone with lots of photography experience could help out here and point us in the right direction.

:D

Yes, the lens mount is the same across the Canon range so if you change bodies any lenses you buy will fit. Lens choice depends on the type of pictures you want to take. Wide angle for landscapes (and Aquariums :D ) Telephoto for taking photos of wild birds for example.

thanks for the reply ... and sorry this always happens where one answer becomes the next question :oops:

when you say wide angle can you be more specific? the lenses seem to be numerous? or are they all as good as each other?

Aqua sobriquet said:
Yes, the lens mount is the same across the Canon range so if you change bodies any lenses you buy will fit. Lens choice depends on the type of pictures you want to take. Wide angle for landscapes (and Aquariums :D ) Telephoto for taking photos of wild birds for example.
Not sure if all lenses fit Canons Full Frame Sensor Bodies?
No expert though!!

Cheers Steve

It's the same mount so yes they do fit! If the lens has been designed for smaller sensors though the image won't cover the whole sensor.

which actual lense would you reccomend? hopefully this will be something i really get into and will upgrade the body, with that in mind is there a lense that will say fit somewhere (in terms of proficiency) between the 350d and the future upgrade?

thats so vague sorry, but hopefully you get the gist

cheers dave

the lens is the important bit, not the camera per se. a 50mm f1.8 is cheap, plasticky and feels like a toy........takes a chuffin good picture though.

Aqua sobriquet said:
It's the same mount so yes they do fit! If the lens has been designed for smaller sensors though the image won't cover the whole sensor.

im pretty sure an efs lens wont mount onto, say a 5d mkii.....never tried but im fairly sure it will catch on the mirror :?

that was my understanding tom, although technically speaking my 1d mkii is a crop and an efs wont bolt onto that lol.

ive put a bid on one on ebay it comes with a TAMRON AF 28-300mm zoom lense and a CANON EF 50mm Marco lense... they have been going for the £150 mark but with these lenses is it worth me upping my max bid to £200 ?

Re: canon 350d top bid ?

yes, as those lenses are probably £50+each on their own

in lower light situations.

above iso 100 is a bit harsh. i have a 1d classic which is renowned for its less than impressive noise above iso 400 but i can still get a passable shot even up to 1250 with the correct exposure.

It went for £255 in the end :(

there are quite a few 350d body only on ebay for £100- £140 which are tempting.
which lens would i buy... 50mm keeps being mentioned but could someone let me know the exact name please :crazy:

Back