• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Canister filter for a 140L heavily planted tank

AquaJoe69

I plan to start up a heavily planted hi-tech aquascape with dimensions 70x50x40cm (140L) and my hardest decision-making is on which canister filter to go with the setup.

The contenders are:

JBL CristalProfi e901 greenline (or the 1501, 10x flowrate of my setup)
Fluval 307/407
Tetra EX1200 plus
Eheim pro 4 350 ( or 600 if need)
Oase Biomaster 350 ( or 600 if need)

They all come with different advantages and disadvantages but some markers of interest are flowrate, volume for filter media, maintainence, quality/sturdiness, noise and of course the price.

I'm familiar with the saying that there is no such thing as too much filtration there should at least be a scenario when a canister is more than enough for the task at hand. I want you guys to take that into consideration if any of my suggestions are not adequate but the next step up in the brands series is then such a suggestion is also highly appreciated.

Lastly I would also appreciate other suggestions that are readily available in Europe as well and my budget is about 200£ but should a filter exceed it but has such good advantages over it's competition that it's still worth considering, be my guest and suggest them too.

I had a similar tank with the e901, I recommend going for the 1501 as it wasnt enough and I had to add a secundary filter for more flow and inline diffuser. The e901 itself is a solid filter, ran silent and easy enough to clean. Mine is 9 years old or so now and still working fine, on my 80l tank now.

I had a similar tank with the e901, I recommend going for the 1501 as it wasnt enough and I had to add a secundary filter for more flow and inline diffuser. The e901 itself is a solid filter, ran silent and easy enough to clean. Mine is 9 years old or so now and still working fine, on my 80l tank now.
The e1501 (updated as e1502) is more or less at the same price point as the oase biomaster 350, if you compare them, which one gives more bang for you bucks?

I havent owned a biomaster, so cant say how well that performs.
I went through some retailers that sold the e1502 and I found the cheapest at 123£ which gives it an extreme flowrate/£ which is nice. But some of the reviews complained about noise and flimsy plastic parts that easily breaks, did you experienced any of these problems with your filter?

I went through some retailers that sold the e1502 and I found the cheapest at 123£ which gives it an extreme flowrate/£ which is nice. But some of the reviews complained about noise and flimsy plastic parts that easily breaks, did you experienced any of these problems with your filter?
Had it running for 9 years or so and nothing has broken, nothing that felt flimsy to me either. Maybe newer versions of this model are different? The only noise it ever makes is right after cleaning, but once the air clears out thats over.

Had it running for 9 years or so and nothing has broken, nothing that felt flimsy to me either. Maybe newer versions of this model are different? The only noise it ever makes is right after cleaning, but once the air clears out thats over.
That's good to know. Did you ever mod or tweak your filter in any way or just the stock setup?

Hi
I’ve had a 1502 set up for a week, no complaints about build quality, flow is good and only a low hum. Ordered a 1902 after seeing the 1502. My quietest filters are the tetratecs which are near silent, but have had connectors break when doing maintenance and temperamental priming button.
cheers
Paul 🍻

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have a 106 litre low tank with a Fluval 107. I've added a small internal Eheim and a sponge filter as well. I'm thinking of upgrading the Fluval and wondered what the advice was, if anyone has any?

Hi
I’ve had a 1502 set up for a week, no complaints about build quality, flow is good and only a low hum. Ordered a 1902 after seeing the 1502. My quietest filters are the tetratecs which are near silent, but have had connectors break when doing maintenance and temperamental priming button.
cheers
Paul 🍻
Did you return the 1502 or does it have other uses? What size and type of aquarium did you use it for?

Should be ok, gives you the x10 flow rate, 👍
Thanks for the reassurement but now I'm a bit curious about your double canister setup since it would deliver about 15-20 times the volume in flow. Can you tell me a bit how it's stocked, plant mass and reason for the double filter system?

I can definitely recommend Oase Biomasters, absolutely great filters with well designed details. I changed my Dennerle HOB to a Oase Biomaster 250, as I wanted more flow. But now I can also place the in and outtakes as I wish, I can control the flow rate, there is a pre-filter for easy maintenance, and a huge amount of filter media. I use the same filter media that came in the box, in the same order and the same in- and outflows. Its' silent, well made, just great.

I retired my Eheim classic and Ecco Pro and am now running Fluval 307 and 407 in my 60cm tank.

After retiring the Eheims, I noticed that Eheim's Classic and Ecco Pro design have not changed, but the Fluval seems to be constantly updated and the 07 series just came out.

I like the 7 series a lot. I absolutely love the 307/407 huge prefilter - while Oase has a removable prefilter, 307/407 has such a huge prefilter that can take in a lot of dead leaves before it ever clogs, so you don't need to clean the prefilter as often as say, the Oase. Fluval also has a smaller footprint than the Oase, which is important since I need to fit my 307/407 in a 60cm wide cabinet.

Having said that, the Oase built in heater option is a winner if you need a heater (I don't).

Finally there's price. For some reason Oase is a whole lot more expensive for similar flowrates in my local shops. It may well be the opposite in different places.

I can definitely recommend Oase Biomasters, absolutely great filters with well designed details. I changed my Dennerle HOB to a Oase Biomaster 250, as I wanted more flow. But now I can also place the in and outtakes as I wish, I can control the flow rate, there is a pre-filter for easy maintenance, and a huge amount of filter media. I use the same filter media that came in the box, in the same order and the same in- and outflows. Its' silent, well made, just great.
Hi Matti,
For how long have you had the 250 and what volume is the tank that goes with it?

For a month, it's a heavily planted 55l tank. I'm running it now at 50% flow, I control the flow by adjusting the Oase intake, one of the great features. Like the priming button, adjustable hose connectors, and the shut valves...it's just a great filter!

Last edited:
Back