• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can Tetras kill shrimp?

I have cherry shrimps and multiple types of tetras in my tank. I actually added my cherries after I had the tetras. I have x-ray, black phantoms, glow lights and neon tetras of which none bother the shrimps. I have found a few cherries with heads missing or dead but normally its a failed moult is the cause or a corydoras has bashed it mid moult will rummaging. With breeding I never remove the females I let nature take its course so to speak and now from 5 cherries I now have a population well over 200+ in 6 months i've had them. Moss is a perfect place for new born cherries to hide and feed.

I do large water changes every week as shrimp need the hardness with moulting.

Beautiful tank. I've even had Least Killifish eating shrimp. Now that I have moved them and the tank is shrimp only I have babies, not before. I'd imagine tetras would take shrimp.

I was about to post that I have least killis and even the tiny males will take baby shrimp. I haven’t seen a single baby shrimp in the tank with galaxies, they’re extremely predatory when you watch their behaviour. Neons exhibit much the same behaviour where if it enters the water column and it can be picked apart, it is.

I think it’s one of those you might not see it happen, but I bet you it is if you watched for long enough.

I have noticed my Cardinal tetras eat smaller shrimp, but only if the shrimp are being chased by an apisto or newly added and confused, they seem to realise it's something to chase and hunt if the shrimp is already trying to escape. If the shrimp are just chilling they don't notice them at all, I've seen whole groups of tiny shrimp quite out in the open and obvious to me but the tetras ignore them.

Apistos will go nosing about the undergrowth to search for shrimps, but my population is definitely increasing so they clearly aren't that thorough. Lots of moss and other plants, especially near the top of the tank seems to help a lot, my shrimp almost exclusively live in the top 3rd of the tank.

When i set up an aquarium for my farther in law i suggested some amanos first to help graze on any algae that might flare up. The tank has been running for several months, and the tank is decently stocked with loaches, tetra, barbs etc, but the amanos are thriving. They are big as well, and seem to be able to look after themselves no problems.

As for the ornamentals Ive kind of gone with a flat out no with adding them in a community tank. At the very least they should always be added first so they can grow to full size, and feel established before adding anything else. I just think apart from the bigger amanos they are just too fragile for me, and should be kept in a dedicated set up.

It's true, I never saw the killifish killing them. I found them dead, but mostly uneaten. At first I thought it was water parameters. But as soon as the killifish were gone the shrimp were out more and no more dead ones appeared. I found they especially killed the RCS; they weren't the smallest, but maybe they were the slowest. It's also true that so much behaviour in tanks seems to be learnt, and one species of fish will copy another. Big amanos are left alone in my experience.

Hi
Amano shrimp are completely different "monster" to the other freshwater shrimps.I will be more wary of the amanos if hungry desimating plants or picking small tetras for food than small fish being a threat to them.My fully grown female amanos compete with my SAP Puffers for frozen mysis shrimp and bloodworms and stand their ground fairly well for nearly 4 years living together with them.
Regards Konstantin

My mate was complaining seeing his Tetra's eating shrimps... I"m not 100% sure I have to ask again, but I believe he showed me these.

glowlight-tetras-diet.jpg

Obviously, whit shrimps anytime!!!

I had Embers that weren't really afraid of Amano shrimps...

I've personally seen a group of glowlights go full piranha feeding frenzy on some yellow cherry shrimp. Admittedly the fish were there first and these were new shrimp being added in a lfs but it was amazingly brutal for what you think is a placid species. The shop setup dedicated shrimp tanks shortly after.

Back