• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can i run a rattling canister ?

eminor

Hello, i bought a second hand eheim classic 150 pump, it works very well but it has a rattling noise, it seems to me that it is the ceramic rod. It is not perfectly smooth. Is there a risk for the pump to run with a rattling sound ? thx

Last edited:
Probably not best to run find out what causes it? Bound to annoy you listening to a rattle after a time

Hello, i have bought and changed the part but the noise persists, it seems to me that the impeller is magnetically attracted to one side which would explain the noise, it does not seem damaged. It should stay in the center normally, any idea?

I put some vaseline to help lubricate the different parts but no difference

I have an Eheim classic 600 (2217) that rattles to varying degrees, even with a new impeller and shaft. I don't think the newer ones are produced to the same standards as they once were.
So it might be normal, that's weird, but rattling is always bad sounding =)

Could be an option to try a new ceramic rod and impellor. Not sure vaseline is the right thing to use other lubricants are often advised?

Eheim actually sell small packets of Vaseline for use on their filters. Not sure what parts it’s meant to be used on though.
Eheim Vaseline
I and many others use Silicon Grease and it doesn’t seem to present any problems.
I made a tiny PTFE washer to go on the shaft under the impeller and it has reduced the noise a little.

Note that it doesn't say Vaseline on the sachet (only in the seller's description). Could be a bit of mistranslation. 'Spezialfett' means special grease. It is a silicon grease, which will not damage rubber. Actual Vaseline® is petroleum-based and does attack (at least some kinds of) rubber.

Note that it doesn't say Vaseline on the sachet (only in the seller's description). Could be a bit of mistranslation. 'Spezialfett' means special grease. It is a silicon grease, which will not damage rubber. Actual Vaseline® is petroleum-based and does attack (at least some kinds of) rubber.
This one does.

Eheim VASELINE

Here’s a better picture of Eheim Vaseline.

Attachments

• 400C2B3A-0E42-4B06-83EE-C1794CE384C9.jpeg
    400C2B3A-0E42-4B06-83EE-C1794CE384C9.jpeg
    30.3 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
My youngest daughter worked in the food industry and they used on all the machinery food grade Silicon Grease

Last edited:
Back