• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can anyone identify this?

mattyratty78

I have a planted tank with dragon stone. There's a red covering on the rock that I'm not able to identify, can anyone help? There's no tufts/hair on it, if it wasn't red I'd say it was cyanobacteria but this stuff doesn't scrub off with a toothbrush. It just makes it unsightly.

Attachments

• 20211122_165756.jpg
    20211122_165756.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 303
I have a planted tank with dragon stone. There's a red covering on the rock that I'm not able to identify, can anyone help? There's no tufts/hair on it, if it wasn't red I'd say it was cyanobacteria but this stuff doesn't scrub off with a toothbrush. It just makes it unsightly.
Looks like bba to me

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Having stared at the picture for eternity, it seems there are bubbles inside some of it on the left side and a more purplish colouration which is indicative of cyano.
Closer picture and some more info would be lovely.

Last edited:
Hi @mattyratty78

I am unable to see anything red inside the areas that you have marked. And, even when I zoomed in, I still couldn't see anything that fits your description. It's odd as some people can obviously see the offending item/substance.

JPC

Hi @mattyratty78

I am unable to see anything red inside the areas that you have marked. And, even when I zoomed in, I still couldn't see anything that fits your description. It's odd as some people can obviously see the offending item/substance.

JPC
1637622261636.png

i just thought it looked kind of like the marine cyano ive seen, never seen it in my planted tanks.

Hi Everyone,

What I see in the enlarged photo immediately above is something brown with short green strands on it. As I've never used Dragon Stone, I wouldn't know what its natural colour is. But, is it not possible that the natural colour varies from one sample to another? Just a thought.

JPC

Hi Everyone,

What I see in the enlarged photo immediately above is something brown with short green strands on it. As I've never used Dragon Stone, I wouldn't know what its natural colour is. But, is it not possible that the natural colour varies from one sample to another? Just a thought.

JPC
Enhance! 🕵️‍♂️😅

HI @Angus as far as I can tell from the pictures it is diatom / Brown algae ... very common on dragon stone (possibly related to the high silicate contents) and in immature tanks in general. It will recede as the tank matures. As always, the standing advice is to always look into your CO2 application, flow and light intensity as well.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Hi @Angus

As your Enhance! comment was in response to a post I'd made (post #9), I thought you were asking me to enhance the picture. That's why I was confused. We need some feedback from @mattyratty78. Agreed?

JPC

Hi @Angus

As your Enhance! comment was in response to a post I'd made (post #9), I thought you were asking me to enhance the picture. That's why I was confused. We need some feedback from @mattyratty78. Agreed?

JPC
Agreed! and there is quite the colony of something on the left hand side of the glass there... get the scraper out matty!

Hi Folks,

It looks as if @MichaelJ has won tonight's star prize!

JPC
@jaypeecee , the evening is still young here in the midwest... :lol: ... btw. sometimes I find it helpful to download the pictures that are posted and open them up in an image editor for closer inspection... just simple stuff, like playing with the brightness and contrast, to get a better sense of what I am looking at.

Cheers,
Michael

Thanks all

See attached for better picture. It's not diatoms, I've had that on most tanks when they're new. This is really hard to remove, I've scrubed with a toothbrush and it doesn't touch it, it feels a bit slimy to the touch.

Attachments

• 20211123_084748.jpg
    20211123_084748.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 145
Thanks all

See attached for better picture. It's not diatoms, I've had that on most tanks when they're new. This is really hard to remove, I've scrubed with a toothbrush and it doesn't touch it, it feels a bit slimy to the touch.
Cyano I believe,it looks the same as I get in my hillstream tank during warmer weather.

Back