• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can anyone identify this algae for me?

Thomas369

Seedling
I've been battling this for a while now and it's started to completely kill off my plants now and looks very unsightly.

Attachments

• IMG_20201227_173419.jpg
    IMG_20201227_173419.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 421
Hello Thomas and welcome to UKAPS. Take a look at our guidelines for algae help. We need as much info as possible to help find you a permanent solution to you algae problem.
In the meantime it looks like diatomaceous algae. Is your set up relatively new?

Hello Thomas and welcome to UKAPS. Take a look at our guidelines for algae help. We need as much info as possible to help find you a permanent solution to you algae problem.
In the meantime it looks like diatomaceous algae. Is your set up relatively new?
Hi, thanks for the reply. My tank has been running for 11 months now, I had hair algae issues and solved them then not long after this popped up.
1. My tanks is 105L and has been set up for 11 months now.
2. I have 2 sponge filters in the tank.
3. The lighting is the one that came with my tetra starter kit.
4. I have gravel.
5. I don't dose c02
6. I use seachem root tabs and occasionally dose the tropica liquid fertiliser but don't have a regime.
7. I change 50% every week
8. The plants I have are Echinodorus Reni, Heteranthera Zosterifolia, Cryptocoryne Beckettii, Microsorum Pteropus, Siamensis 53B, Anubias Barteri Var. Nana and moss balls.
9. I have 7 panda corydoras, 2 otos and some errant guppy fry.

Thanks for the info. Can we also have a few shots of your tank, in particular a full tank shot. It would really help.
Also not familiar with your light, a few pics of that and a description would be good; is it LED, T5, etc? What is its output, is it dimmable. How long is it on for?

Thanks for the info. Can we also have a few shots of your tank, in particular a full tank shot. It would really help.
Also not familiar with your light, a few pics of that and a description would be good; is it LED, T5, etc? What is its output, is it dimmable. How long is it on for?
I can't get a picture just yet as I am not at home. It is a 16W LED hood light. It is not dimmable and is on for 8 hours a day.

I don't know if this will help but after cutting some of the affected plants off the algae has a really earthy smell, almost like compost. Also, it's not affected the leaves that are close to the surface, only the plants near the middle and bottom.

That helps a bit, but I still need that full tank shot (FTS), a picture is worth a thousand words ;) Without it I can't be sure I'm giving you the right advice. Maybe take a look at this first if you haven't already Algae

But from what you've provided so far... It looks like diatomaceous or brown algae. It's common in new setups and low light tanks. Perhaps why the leaves near the surface aren't effected.
Next time you do a water change try to rub as much off the leaves as possible, it should come off quite easily and syphon it out.

Since you have gravel you should probably start a lean dosing regime. Well fed healthy plants have a greater chance of outcompeting alage. Take a look at these articles Non Co2 Methods and The Soil Substrate or Dirted Planted Tank - A How to Guide. Follow the advice. You might also want to search Darrel's @dw1305 "Duck Weed Index". It uses floating plants as a nutrient level indicator, when they show signs of deficiency, it's time to dose.

Clean your filters and keep them clean. You may want to consider an external canister filter with 5-10 times the turnover of the tank volume per hour. This will increase the flow around the tank and help deal more efficiently with any organic waste, which encourages algae.

Not sure what your planting density is since I don't have a FTS but you might also want to consider introducing more plants. High density planting infers a great deal of biological stability and algae have a hard time competing. Also think about adding some Amano shrimp and cherry shrimp, they'll help your otos out.

I don't dose c02

Hi @Thomas369

If you don't use CO2, in what form do you supply carbon to your tank? Do you use one of the many liquid carbon products?

Are you using tap water?

I have 2 sponge filters in the tank.

It's a tall order using just two sponge filters in a 105 litre tank. An external canister filter would probably be a better choice. How do you clean the sponge filters? Do these get cleaned at every water change?

That's just a few questions that immediately come to mind.

JPC

Back