• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can anyone identify these egg-like stuff on Java Fern?

CheckeredRust

Hello all, I notice there are these egg like things on the java fern. I do have 2 Nerite Snails in my tank, but they haven't been laying eggs, neither have they been climbing onto the java fern as well (they're all over the tank except the java fern).

These eggs(?) looks like they are sort of embossed into the leaf. You can see the shape of the egg on the leaf as well. Also, it's extremely small, I had to use a macro lens to see it properly, unlike Nerite eggs which are bigger and obvious.

Would appreciate any input!

Attachments

• PXL_20210708_134859713.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20210708_134859713.MP~2.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 537
@CheckeredRust In one of my tanks I have a huge java fern that that grew from a tiny shot. I have to prune it on a regular basis now - its unstoppable. This is how the "runners" eventually grows from the leaves:
fern.jpeg

When the sprouts get to this size (about 2 inches/5 cm) (perhaps even smaller) you can just detach them from the leaf and replant. Just make sure you don't bury the rhizome (i.e. the stem the leaves are attached to). In a different tank I used to have a huge piece of driftwood all covered in fern sprouts - looked awesome when they grew in.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
@CheckeredRust In one of my tanks I have a huge java fern that that grew from a tiny shot. I have to prune it on a regular basis now - its unstoppable. This is how the "runners" eventually grows from the leaves:
View attachment 171668

When the sprouts get to this size (about 2 inches/5 cm) (perhaps even smaller) you can just detach them from the leaf and replant. Just make sure you don't bury the rhizome (i.e. the stem the leaves are attached to). In a different tank I used to have a huge piece of driftwood all covered in fern sprouts - looked awesome when they grew in.

Cheers,
Michael
Do they start out looking like the ones in my photo as well? I thought it was some kind of insect eggs!

Back