• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can anubias heterophylla be grown out of water

Nathanh2150

Just recently brought two anubias heterophylla they where submerged in water when brought today but had a idea to attach them to the back of the tank with the leaves coming out of the top of the aquarium and the roots in the aquarium as photos show’s any help and suggestions would be much appreciated

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,004
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 214
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 195
leaves coming out of the top of the aquarium
People typical have difficulty in keeping the humidity high enough to stop the leaves from drying and browning. I have a stalled project to grow anubias in a humid cabinet. I think that @foxfish has experience in this area and has posted on this forum his experiences.

Hope this is of some help.

I remember a guy showing a large Anubias coffeefolia growing emerged out of the water... I guess if you search Youtube for it the vid still might be online.

But the issue is, most people take emersed universally for granted and fail to report the conditions it is in. And each room has its own climate... I have a tank with loads of different Anubias sp. One grows close to the surface now and then it sticks a leaf out, it stays for a few weeks slowly melts away and the next one does the same. And this goes on for years now. I believe the one I got is called A. Ducky but it doesn't quack... All fantasy names seem to be A. barteri cultivar varieties anyway.

So I guess the answer might be yes, but how and what is a very individual experience... All you can do is try...

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the species mine is. I would say it suffers slightly and would prefer a smidge more humidity as the older leaves tend to get dry crispy tips as they age. However, it's been doing it's thing for a couple of years now so it's certainly surviving. An occassional misting might make it happier but I'm not that organised. It's similar to yours in that it climbs out from a loosely fitted lid. It gets light from a window.

The rhizome starts near the substrate and is I guess around 12-18" long heading upwards, however it doesn't break the surface, it's the leaves that grow up and out - so I'd be tempted to submerge the rhizome as mine could have climbed out if it wanted and hasn't. I can take you a photo tomorrow.

Unfortunately if they were submerged when you got them then they need lots of adjusting to give them a chance. Unless you can maintain a really high humidity then they will probably dry up and die off pretty quickly (that's the leaves, the rhizome may survive). With anubias it's quite a slow acclimation process but they are normally going to need quite a high humidity to really thrive.

@Kezzab has a nice emersed anubias but in very different conditions

Hi all,
Thanks for the advice
I have just got home from work and it looks to be doing ok I guess over the next few days to keep an eye on the plant would it be wise to add in the pots some root tabs ? And to spay the leaves with aquarium water daily there are new shoots showing as well… but I’m guessing it will more then likely go though it die back before establishing from being submerged in water to being out of water .. I didn’t remove anything from the pots they came in just popped them in the tank in original pot from the store.
I also do 20ml of plant food daily in my aquarium also it has a co2 system and also add flourish excel only 5ml daily

Here's a photo, as you can see it can grow out of the water, but the leaves do suffer. It's big too, the rhizome on this is about 20mm thick and the leaf stalks about 30cm long. The rhyzome goes from just above the substrate, diagonally upwards and splits into two near the top, there there is another section coming forwards near the base you can see submersed that's just starting to breach the surface too. It obviously has a preference for out of the water as it's made it's own way out and is growing longer stalks from the lower branch too. There is a window top right which is what the leaves are orientating towards.
20211210_112648.jpg

Back