• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can Algae/diatoms be killed with UV

Abarth_1200

So I have an understanding of the uv wavelengths in that UVA and UVB are what we and the earth are exposed to daily. But UVC is blocked by the atmosphere, that's a good thing as it's deadly. So I wonder if there is a way to spot treat unwanted algae/ diatoms with UV, I've seen torches for reef keepers I'm sure. Obviously this would need to be done with a high level of care but let's have a listen of anyone who knows about this.

I assume if the intensity was enough. it would work and some time back I looked at small UVC sources to make a pen/spot type device for local treatment of hair algae. I never got any further but noticed a product is available for reef use:-

After years of observation, I've come to perceive algae as a visible expression of a trouble, not the root of it. When algae grow well, plants usually don't, and there's something definitely wrong about the tank. What exactly is that 'something' is not very clear (to me), but elevated level of dissolved organic compounds is a prime suspect - and I'd love to get it elucidated as to what (sort of) compounds are decisive and where they come from.
That said, I do not oppose discussion about UV lamps' usefulness. They can kill microbes (incl. algae & cyanobacteria) and speed up degradation of organic pollutants. Yet I believe this is only a symptomatic remedy, not going to the core of the trouble.

Last edited:
Never tried the ReefDelete in the freshwater tank, felt there was a problem with the unit which is now part of a recall and replacement. Once sorted I’ll give it a try.

Back