• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CaMg(CO3) aka Dolomite for remineralization?

MichaelJ

Hello, I was playing around the rotala dosing calculator and noticed CaMg(CO3) also known as Dolomite limestone. Is anyone using this (in part) for remineralization ? I am wondering if there are any drawbacks/benefits from this particular compound?
Cheers,
Michael

I can not see no reasons why not, the fact its on Rotala means its probably fine to use, I would run it passed @dw1305 and @X3NiTH first, its not one we added to the IFC calculator either, but we could do ;)
@Zeus. Sounds good. Yes, my idea was to use Dolomite (instead of Epsom Salt (MgSO4) that I am currently using) in combination with the Gypsum salt (CaSO4 that I am currently using as well) to get a little more GH (Calcium and Magnesium contents) while reducing my TDS/conductivity a bit further and simplify my water prep routine a bit. I don't know if that all adds up as I also believe the CO3 part of the Dolomite might raise my KH and possibly pH as well. Let's see if @dw1305 or @X3NiTH have anything to add.
Cheers,
Michael

Dolomite has very low solubility in water so using the sulphates is probably the better option .
I have tried it in the past, when i was working we bought it in truckloads, but never noticed any increase in KH.

Cheers

Hi all,
Yes, my idea was to use Dolomite
It isn't really soluble. It is an <"evaporite mineral">. If you buy some it will look like pink talcum powder. Traditionally the pinker the colour the more magnesium it contained, but I don't know the truth of this.
but never noticed any increase in KH.
It should give you about 17 dKH, it is still mainly CaCO3.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

It isn't really soluble. It is an <"evaporite mineral">. If you buy some it will look like pink talcum powder. Traditionally the pinker the colour the more magnesium it contained, but I don't know the truth of this.

It should give you about 17 dKH, it is still mainly CaCO3.

cheers Darrel
Hi @dw1305 Thanks for that answer and background info. I think I will just stick to my current approach - just thought I would ask, as I just saw it in Rotala - it probably shouldn't be in there if its not really a feasible option for tank water remineralization.
Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
It’s easier to source and use pure CaCO3 and MgCO3 for water remineralisation than mined Dolomite Powder which is better used on soils as it is slow release over time due to the action of rain, also because it’s not a pure source it will come with unknown quantities of other minerals.

If you want me to post my mineralisation routine here using CaCO3 and MgCO3 (and other minerals) then just ask!

:)

It’s easier to source and use pure CaCO3 and MgCO3 for water remineralisation than mined Dolomite Powder which is better used on soils as it is slow release over time due to the action of rain, also because it’s not a pure source it will come with unknown quantities of other minerals.
Hi @X3NiTH Thanks for the reply, that is good to know.

My WC water is a mix of ~40% tap and ~60% RO. My Tap water comes out at "0" GH due to our water softener (using KCl), so I am only using compounds that increases GH and not KH, as that would increase if I were to use CaCO3. So for a while now I've been mixing MgNO3, K2PO4, CaSO4 and MgSO4. which also gives me more than enough of NPK for my low-tech tanks (The residual K from the water softener is pretty high so the 40% tap water is my main source of Potassium).
I am still keeping my eye out for alternative compounds that would allow me to lower the my overall conductivity (TDS) while maintaining my Ca Mg levels, but I suspect I probably took it as far as I can with what I am doing now. And most importantly, fish, shrimps and plants are all seemingly happy! :)

Cheers,
Michael

For the amount of control over the water parameters you appear to want and are already in it to 60% RO I’d be going full hog and just take it up to 100%, at that point you’ve got a completely blank slate and you can do whatever you want. My perspective is that I treat the water as total nutrition and make it up as such, if there’s something plants need then I add it, how much depends on which water body I want to replicate for the overall parameters.

:)

For the amount of control over the water parameters you appear to want and are already in it to 60% RO I’d be going full hog and just take it up to 100%, at that point you’ve got a completely blank slate and you can do whatever you want.
Hi @X3NiTH Thats true. And that is what I did in the past actually. I wanted to reduce the time spend on WC's in my two 151L (40 US Gallon) tanks and still be doing 40-50% per week (previously only doing 20% weekly), but making 100-150L of RO water per week (50-75L per tank) quickly became less than practical. My RO system makes about 15L/hour so thats 8-10 hours for making water + hundreds of liters of waste water down the drain. It was a great simplification when I was told I could use KCl in my water softener instead of NaCl as that pretty much gives me the KH and K that I need when mixed 40/60 with the RO water - and almost cut my RO production time in half at the same time. All our indoor taps runs through the softener so I was forced to do 100% RO before switching over to KCl - due to the arctic winters here in Minnesota using the outdoor taps wouldn't work for almost half the year anyway. If I would want to switch over to using only RO water I would definitely have to upgrade my RO system.

My perspective is that I treat the water as total nutrition and make it up as such, if there’s something plants need then I add it, how much depends on which water body I want to replicate for the overall parameters.
Yes, thats more or less what I am trying to accomplish as well.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Hello,

Someone who actually uses dolomite here.

It isn’t pink, it’s white and can be purchased on eBay. It’s used as a food additive to increase calcium and magnesium.

It certainly helps with plants that can use carbonates. I notice this very easily since my tap water is very soft.

It makes the tank water cloudy for a few hours because already alluded to, it’s not very soluble.

Edit Dolomite and dolomite lime as far as I am aware are different.

Regards CJ

Dolomite lime is pink, I’ve seen it at the garden centres.

Attachments

• E214431E-5591-4916-987B-09C96D7104B2.jpeg
    E214431E-5591-4916-987B-09C96D7104B2.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 133
@Xenith I’m sorry to hijack the thread but I’d love to here your CaCo3 and MgCo3 mix.

I tried very unsuccessful raising dKH with potassium bicarbonate but literally everything single one of my Malaysian Trumpet Snails closed up and didn’t move. I cleared with massive water change until snails came out again then dosed KHCO3 again to confirm. Fish were fine until I did another large water change then they began displaying signs of TDS shock.

Hello,

Someone who actually uses dolomite here.

It isn’t pink, it’s white and can be purchased on eBay. It’s used as a food additive to increase calcium and magnesium.

It certainly helps with plants that can use carbonates. I notice this very easily since my tap water is very soft.

It makes the tank water cloudy for a few hours because already alluded to, it’s not very soluble.

Edit Dolomite and dolomite lime as far as I am aware are different.

Regards CJ
@Soilwork Thanks for chiming in. I didn't see the powder form as a dietary supplement. Interesting! Perhaps its also more "purified" in that form and not containing "unknown quantities of other minerals" as @X3NiTH mentioned. It will still raise the KH as its mostly CaCO3 though so it's not a viable option for me as I don't want my KH to increase above what I am getting from the tap water I am mixing in.

Cheers,
Michael

@Soilwork Thanks for chiming in. I didn't see the powder form as a dietary supplement. Interesting! Perhaps its also more "purified" in that form and not containing "unknown quantities of other minerals" as @X3NiTH mentioned. It will still raise the KH as its mostly CaCO3 though so it's not a viable option for me as I don't want my KH to increase above what I am getting from the tap water I am mixing in.

Cheers,
Michael

thats fair :)
My tap water TDS ranges from 30-90ppm so to quote Darrel, there aren’t many ions of any description in there. I don’t use co2 so I’d like a little bit of GH and KH.

Regards
CJ

Interesting, I have a bag of garden lime that claims to be dolomatic and it's grey-white little pebbles. Makes me wonder what it actually is.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Hi all,
It isn’t pink, it’s white
I don't think the pink colour is anything to do with the magnesium (Mg) (or calcium (Ca)) content, I assume it is another mineral (impurity) within the source rock. Both pure magnesium carbonate (MgCO3) and calcium carbonate (CaCO3) are white powders.

I know the Italian <"Dolomite mountains"> have pink limestone.

cheers Darrel

I always use dolomite gravel as substrate, so dosing is never in my consideration nor necessary.

Back