• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Buying Tropica plants online

As a good point for the in-vitro plants, I bought Tropica 1-2 Grow Pots of Weeping and Java Moss in October last year, and, as I usually do, I bought more than I needed. I'm really pleased to say the grow pots of both mosses still look very healthy. All I've done is store them in a cool place out of direct sunlight and they're still going strong and I'll hopefully use them in the new shrimp tank in the next few weeks.

@BarryH the tissue culture pots? They've lasted that long?
That's interesting as i'm going to be rescaping soon but i'm waiting to order all my plants in one hit, maybe i dont have to? Does this only apply to mosses?
Cheers

in some cases they even growm them before shipping out.

Tropica have videos for planting out their plants, they state they only send out plants in pots that are mature and tank ready, especially as again Tropica shows cutting off the root growth from the pad things they're grown in as a step we should take before planting. To me, that extra growth stage seems wasteful?

Hi all,
Good enough for me! Thank you
If I was going to try to store some other plants it would be slow growing ones like Anubias and Bucephalandra.

The difference with mosses is that they are both slow growing and they don't have vascular tissue or roots etc., so it is mush easier for them to just "sit and wait " until the good times (light, nutrients etc) return.

cheers Darrel

If I was going to try to store some other plants it would be slow growing ones like Anubias and Bucephalandra.

Funny you should say that, I'd like a few varieties of each. Does this only apply to plants bought in the tissue culture pots though? I've never bought these but from what i've read they're pretty much baby plants? I'd like something bigger but not fully grown, just to be difficult!!
Cheers

Hi all,
Does this only apply to plants bought in the tissue culture pots though?..I've never bought these but from what i've read they're pretty much baby plants?
Yes it does really. These are basically "plantlets" in a mini-glasshouse with all they need, the problems comes (with quicker growing plants) when they out-grow their nursery.
I'd like something bigger but not fully grown
Some people would dry start smaller plants, but I usually just pop them in a tank and leave them floating until I need them.

Even plants like Cryptocoryne spp. you can do this and they will last pretty much indefinitely, although they won't grow much. I found a fragment of Liliaeopsis in the tank about 18 months ago, I have no recollection of where it might have come from and it may already have been in there for some time. I didn't have anywhere to plant it (the bottoms of my tanks are dark and gloomy places) so I left it floating. It is still floating, but is now it a tangled mass of tiny leaves and rhizomes as big as a saucer. I don't feed the tanks much, and any nutrients it would have got via the water column.

I measured the conductivity recently (having not measured it for ~12 months) and it was 103 microS, so definitely not much in the way of nutrients.

cheers Darrel

Morning all
Can someone recommend a site for me to source some Tropica plants from, Preferably a trusted one with good stock as i'm going to be re-scaping soon
Cheers
Hi Aqua Essentials are pretty good but i think stocks are low everywhere at present. Also Swell. Just curious as i am quite new to this but do you ever leave the sponge or clay rings or pots on your plants when scraping? I have had some difficulty getting plants to stay down and not keen on using lead? Cheers

@Fisher2007 yeah true, perhaps i'll have to wait :thumbdown: Plants don't have to be specifically Tropica i just thought they'd be the best to start off with, i don't mind if they're from different suppliers as long as i get them from the same place to arrive at the same time!
Just a thought what i have found good with aqua essentials they will Scape for You ie show selections with prices and provide guides for doing them, quite a good range and selections. I think that’s what I will be doing when i get my new tank. Enjoy

Hi Aqua Essentials are pretty good but i think stocks are low everywhere at present. Also Swell. Just curious as i am quite new to this but do you ever leave the sponge or clay rings or pots on your plants when scraping? I have had some difficulty getting plants to stay down and not keen on using lead? Cheers
How thick substrate layer are you putting down? You might need to add some more substrate so you can plant things down a little deeper with tweezers 😊, its been a fair few years since my last tank and im just getting back into it now, but I remember not having much luck if I had 2-3cm or less, I would usually have to have at least 5cm for things to stay unless they were lightweight stems like r.rotundafolia(spelt very wrong)

Hi my substrate is 40mmm eco complete with jlb mandala 20mm laid over,! I think next tank will be sand capping

Back