• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Buy or build a cabinet

Onoma1

If I can locate a tank quickly I may need a 120 x 60cm cabinet before Christmas (hopefully).

Given the price of timber atm both the king of DiY's approach (a frame made from 2x4) and the ADA style18/ 22mm MDF approach to building a stand seem quie expensive.

I wonder what people thought was the best approach? By best I mean least expensive and safest? MDF, 2x4 or buy?

If it's buy could anyone recommend a supplier?

This was my dilemma a year ago, in the end (due to poor choice of supplier on my part), it would have been quicker to make it myself
Avoid nacd
Be careful out there 👍
If making yourself, i wouldn’t be using mdf for anything structural

You might be able to find the DD aquascaper 1200 stand? Email them/stockist and see?

I bought some furniture to put a couple of Nano’s on because it was the quick and easy option. The gaps around the doors and drawers though let the humming sound of the filters out so I’m now wishing I built my own.

I couldn't find a D D and given my lack of time and buget I went for double skinning the inside of my existing one with 18mm structural ply. I looked for furniture but most if the suitable second hand stuff was only 40 wide.

I have glued and screwed two painted pieces to the inside of the existing cabinet and added a new top. I will add a few 4x2 frame in the middle just for the added security.

When I have the cash I will upgrade to a D D or the Aquariums4life Eco cabinet.

Thank you for all the replies.

I made a cabinet for a 240ltr 1200 long tank 10 yrs ago, I used 18mm marine ply, glued and screwed. Then varnished
It still looks the same as when I made it👍👍👍

I would say, best to make it yourself, if you have skill and will. For that you can take, chipwood 18mm for kitchen cabinets, as it's got good protection. MDF 18mm, but then you would be looking to make it as ADA doing, use wood filler for any gaps and paint it as a whole. Or like mentioned above, plywood and varnish it or paint it. If it will be sticking out this 10cm at the back, it's not a big deal. So if you find a 50cm wide cabinet, it will be good too.

Good luck,

Kris

The biggest hurdle for me was cutting the wood. I was going to build two stands out of mdf but ended up buying one instead. My buddy was supposed cut the pieces of wood but we couldn’t find time to actually get it done between our schedules.

For smaller tanks ikea stuff works pretty well. My 60p has been on an IKEA besta for almost two years with no problems and I had a 45p on it for about two years prior. All I did was put some reinforcing brackets on the corners so it wouldn’t topple over. Compared to some of the crap they sell as “stands” these days the ikea seems a lot sturdier you just need to be really careful about water dripping.

I believe b&q will cut wood, for a small fee, my local wood yard will also do this
It’s not economic to purchase a track and saw for one cabinet (or, having seen the price some suppliers charge, perhaps it is)
Veneered ply would imho be a better long term choice of material

Back