• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bug ID

SRP3006

Hi guys.

I need an ID is possible please. Ventured into the shed for the annual Christmas light power on.... And found quite a few of these scattered across the floor and some actually inside the wood. There are little piles of sawdust on the floor, and I'm a little concerned the shed will be sawdust before summer

Got a pic to go with that? There are several options... some are beetles that can fly out, so if you treat the wood to prevent new entries it should be fine, others stay and multiply in the wood afaik, thats harder to deal with.

Haha @Wolf6 senior moment
ffdfbad4194791f22aff83b2ec1a6935.jpg

Hi all,
some are beetles
They look like beetle larvae. A lot of Beetles eat dead wood.

The other option is that they are Bee or Wax moth larvae, and that you have had a Bees nest in the shed roof. The Tree Bumblebee (Bombus hypnorum) is both <"frequently attacked by Wax moths"> and commonly nests in sheds.

cheers Darrel

I'd get a professional to have a look and give an indication to treat it. Some say rubbing petroleumjelly over all the affected wood works, but I'd just get a professionals opinion at the very least.

Thanks guys, I've emptied the shed and checked for any form of nest or sign of nest and couldn't find any. Getting a professional in to look at the shed wasn't on top of my list of priorities at the minute, nor possible. So I've literally cleaned it as best as I could and sprayed it (liberally) with a woodworm treatment.
Seems to have done the trick

Back