• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Budget Pond

Gill

I represented my office last year in a grass sculpture competition.
And Left one of the designs that did not grow in time for the deadline, in a shady spot on the patio.
I used an old washing up bowl and it holds about 30 litres.
It has filled with rain water over time and the Grass has covered the Bogwood it was planted onto.
The Planting medium used was Coir which is about 2 inches deep.
Wondering whether I can use this and plant directly into the Coir and turn it into a Patio Pond.

Thinking of planting with Trimmings from the Main tank and a few marginals.
For fish was thinking maybe be Gold WCMM or some Gold Medaka

IMAG0096.jpg

Last edited:
I would say that is not a suitable home for fish.
1) Its too small
2) Its temperature will vary too much due to the sunshine being able to rapidly heat the water
3) No filtration
4) Too much plant growth = reduced surface area
5) No food for fish
6) Anything else.

I would say that is not a suitable home for fish.
1) Its too small
2) Its temperature will vary too much due to the sunshine being able to rapidly heat the water
3) No filtration
4) Too much plant growth = reduced surface area
5) No food for fish
6) Anything else.

Wow you really do come off like a troll in your posts, without much actual knowledge at all

Thanks for the Input, although this would not be my first Nano pond with Fish, Shrimp Etc. Have 6 other ponds in the garden ranging from 100 to 10G. thanks though
There are alot of fish that would be suitable for a Patio pond of this size, that thrive in such Temperate waters.
Have housed Heterandria formosa, NeoHeterandria Elegans. Egyptian Mouthbrooders, Paradise Fish, Threadfin Rainbows, Platties, Zebra, Pearl, Leopard - Danios, WCMMs, Endlers, Limias, Rice Fish. shame there is such a small market for cold/ temperate water fish locally.
Think I still have one of those Solar powered Air Pumps, So can Have a Sponge/box filter in it. Although with the right planting, would not be necessary really.
In Regards to Food, why would there be no food for the fish. There are all sorts of critters in it already, and can just feed them like any other pond or tank. I Grow Live foods for my fish anyway. And Have Daphnia, Cyclops, Brine Shrimp, Gamarrus, BloodWorm, tubs going. Although the Brine Shrimp is a little slow to get going this year(May need to reseed it with a bag of adults).

Think I will so how the Red Cabomba looks in this, with lots of cuttings from the main tanks inside. And might try a Tiger Lotus in it, as they have been doing well at low temps indoors.

Not sure what is in the Bogwood storage Bin. There has been all sorts of fish in that over the years, Think there are some Flagfish and platties in it at the moment from last year.
Do need to check the water features in mums garden to see how the snail population is doing dumped a load of different ramshorns in their last summer.

You asked for opinions for turning it into a pond, I then gave you my opinion of your idea, it is not my fault you do not like my opinion.

Are you thinking of using this container for the actual pond or just to grow the plants? As a pond, this container would be too small. I've tried with these small containers and they can overheat easily.

Builders Buckets are great as they dont split very easily.
I like using the washing up bowls as they can stay outside all year round.
The nano Ponds I used to have in the front garden were ever so nice once the plants started to fill in.
If I can find some Heterandria, will def use them. as the tiny size and the fact they can take some very low temps makes them good for controlling mozzies that always end up in the tubs.

Without coming off as a troll, I also would not stock fish in it; given the reasons of temperature fluctuations, lack of filtration etc; but, if you're confident it can be done, then have at it.

No worries, I experiment Alot. And have had success with Patio Ponds in the Past. And reading up on the fish you can keep in sizes like these.
Reading about medaka/paradise tubs is very interesting.
My Solar powered Kit has been chewed on by the rat in the garage(had a look after work this evening). So found a new kit for £5 so that should be here in the next few weeks. And will just fit some Jap matt to it. hey presto patio pond filter done.
Have quite alot of pond plants to choose from from all the tubs etc in the garden. but will add lots of cabomba. as like it and it provides lots of surface area for things to grow on and hide in.
Will get some fish etc for it when ready.

Will post pix as it evolves over the next few weeks.

Here are some old ones.
The Large Barrel was Mainly Danios, and Platties
The Tank Was - Paradise Fish, Platties, BN Plecs, bulldog plecs.
The Small Tub, did house mouthbrooders.
019.jpg

Paradise Fish Barrel, (Builders Blue Barrell cut Down) had i think a few spawns in here. No filters, just used plants and the massive Flag Iris
IMAG0204.jpg

IMAG0201.jpg

Yeah gill I am all for liking something new.well new to me anyway. I may have a go at it some time once my pond build has been finished. Yeah like it alot.keep it up mate.

Gill when you said you had fish in them . What happened to the fish. Did you move them to something else.
This really interests me. As I might get my grandsons to have a go at this. It could be a nice little learning thing for them to do. Also grow plants for my pond. Kill two birds with one stone so to speak ha ha. Best fred

Fish were simply moved into another tank or pond when it was too cold for them. Although Neo/Heterandria Formosa can stay out all year round.
There are alot of people in scotland that keep tub ponds with coldwater species in them all year round.

Cheers Gill thanks for the info pal. Keep it up mate your very knowledgeable. Great work mate. By the way my pond has just been rendered. Best Fred

I too would want something larger than the wash up pan and something I could see the fish/invert's in other than when they may be near the surface.
I keep guppies outdoor's in summer along with bait fish in plastic stock tank's or galvanized stock tank's used for watering cattle.
Biggest trouble for me is triple digit temp's, and raccoon's.

Back