• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Budget(ish) lighting for a 30cm high-tech cube?

SJG1711

Hello chaps, I've recently bought a 30cm optiwhite aquarium and am struggling to find an answer on lighting. I've been looking at the Chihiros A Series which looks a good un, but as it's from China I worry about the amount of time delivery would take and I'm excited to crack on, but if it's worth it I'll give it a go. Also I've heard it can run quite hot? Is this a problem beyond touching it? Could be handy as a room heater in winter. I've also looked into floodlights and I'm not too sure if the plants would look too washed out with one? I'm not overly fussy just as long as it doesn't make things washed out, and makes plants look at least half decent. My budget is up to £50 and I'd like to grow dwarf hairgrass and various stems if that makes a difference, high tech of course. Anyone have any suggestions? Twinstar would be the dream, but maybe in another life! Cheers guys :)

I have 2 30cm cubes with Chihiros A series lights, runnin g CO2 and EI ferts, happily grow MC carpet, and H'ra with them. The light is warm to touch but not excessive, i run it a couple of steps below maximum.

Chihiros A series or even A plus if you want to stretch. ;)

30cm cubes are the cheapest to light as you could almost use a desklamp or two in a pinch.

Don't want to hijack this thread from OP but I'm looking for one is well, mainly due to going away for couple of weeks so need something that can run of timer as current LED on our tank has 2 setting touch sensitive on/off so once the power is cut you have to press that so it won't work with plug timer.

Now I have found this below from all pond solution is this the same sort of stuff as the Chihiros A? also is there some sort of additional device I could add to act as dimmer?

https://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquarium/lighting/led/pled/

Back