• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bucep's bluff thread finished :-)

Tim, love your tank. Very nice hardscape and plants are looking very good.
I wish i had some Buces... since i saw those plants that i with to try them out.

Pedro.

Reactions: tim
Tim, love your tank. Very nice hardscape and plants are looking very good.
I wish i had some Buces... since i saw those plants that i with to try them out.

Pedro.
Thanks Pedro, buces are lovely looking to add more next month.
Sweet work, Tim. Keep it up mate. :)
Thank you George, compliment means a lot as I've ripped off your little mountain scape :oops:

I don't think you need to mate,....I swear this tank looks just as good as any high tech tank
Thanks Faizal, a few unscheduled days away from home last week, missed water changes a little melt on the eleocharis in the back right corner, maybe poor flow so I may swap the boyu for an Eden 501 with a little more oomph, hopefully it'll recover.

Little update on this, melt has Been an issue with the hairgrass also a couple of buces planted in the substrate have lost all their leaves, I've moved the rhizomes to another tank to see if they will recover, continuing daily water changes and the grass is looking greener.
12105973713_d19df802ff.jpg

Added some cherries and baby ramshorns as cleanup crew.

I agree with Ian. Every time I have used hair grass I get an initial die off then I picks right up. Also the buce I have just moved some that I split into substrate and have noticed reduced growth compared to the ones on the rocks

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Stick with the hairgrass mate, I find it tends to get a little pale before going bright green. It then goes mental!
I agree with Ian. Every time I have used hair grass I get an initial die off then I picks right up. Also the buce I have just moved some that I split into substrate and have noticed reduced growth compared to the ones on the rocks

Thanks guys will stick with it :) bit pi**ed about the buces, only one if attached to some lava rock hasn't melted so maybe they don't favour new aquasoil or an unmatured substrate.

must have missed this one tim looks great love the rock layout and plants are interesting and different, I hear that more and more that lo tech is the future lol subscribed mate keep the updates coming :thumbup:

It is a real shame about the buces (especially at the price) but some of mine recently got a lot of BBA so I removed the leaves and there are new leaves unrolling currently, so fingers crossed mate

must have missed this one tim looks great love the rock layout and plants are interesting and different, I hear that more and more that lo tech is the future lol subscribed mate keep the updates coming :thumbup:
Thanks Deano, low tech is relaxing in small tanks like this, still have issues they just happen slower :)
It is a real shame about the buces (especially at the price) but some of mine recently got a lot of BBA so I removed the leaves and there are new leaves unrolling currently, so fingers crossed mate

Cheers Ali fingers crossed indeed, not cheap but at least becoming more readily available I'd be well miffed if they'd come from Borneo and I'd killed them :lol:

Most defiantly. I spent £20 on 2 little bits of Malawi and I would have been incredibly peaved if I had lost them but they have turned into 6 separate plants now. Plus I got a couple bits free that my LFS where going to throw our as they where looking a bit worse for wear :)

Keep at it Tim, I'm sure it will turn out great in the end! My Buce have started to produce new leaves (2 in total), I've just kept them floating since Dec. I can't say they've melted, leaves that already looked beat up from the delayed postman seem to still be hanging on.

Quick iPhone pic after water change this morning
12454451924_efe5dc80db.jpg

Not much happening fast to be honest maybe fully grown in in a year or two :)
Cherry shrimp have done a sterling job of keeping the grass clean, buces are back in attached to small lava rocks, 3 water changes a week for another fortnight then I'll cut back to two, May also increase the photoperiod slowly from 6 to 8 hours, real pleasure not battling algae in this one, sacrifice being slow growth, still patience is a virtue.
Cheers :)

Attachments

• 12454451924_efe5dc80db.jpg
    12454451924_efe5dc80db.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 385
Fantastic proportions pal. Only thing giving it away is the cherry shrimp!
How've you found the Bucephs? Similar in cryptocorynes to care for?
Why thank you kind sir! Yeah nath the buces do remind me of crypts, I attached 1 to lava rock and planted the rest in the substrate and they lost leaves rapidly so I assume they don't like new aquasoil as the only one that suffered no melt was attached to rock, the others are recovering slowly.

Hi Tim, I'm wondering how you're finding the growth characteristics of the Buce. I'm sure that my Buces have increased their growth rate now that they have stetted in and some new leaves have grown. I find that the rhizomes tend to grow upwards rather than horizontal. I have also found a small buce rhizome with a pair of very tiny leaves, the plant itself is no more than an half an inch, place it in my 80L right under the of the HOB and a new leave grew in a few days, faster than the rest of my Buce when they first sent out their first leaves in my tank.

Michael.

Hi Tim, I'm wondering how you're finding the growth characteristics of the Buce. I'm sure that my Buces have increased their growth rate now that they have stetted in and some new leaves have grown. I find that the rhizomes tend to grow upwards rather than horizontal. I have also found a small buce rhizome with a pair of very tiny leaves, the plant itself is no more than an half an inch, place it in my 80L right under the of the HOB and a new leave grew in a few days, faster than the rest of my Buce when they first sent out their first leaves in my tank.

Michael.
Hi Michael, tbh due to the melting issues I had I'd say they are still settling in so not much growth, the one plant that didn't melt has put out two new leaves in a month, I'll keep you posted.

Back