• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Brown patch on crs head. Infection?

Lindy

Hi, one of my adult crs has been staying still for long periods for a couple of weeks. Yesterday I noticed a large brown patch on his shell behind his eye. Anyone seen something like this before? Can anything be done for him? The rest of the shrimp, adults to smallest babies and one berried female are all active and seem fine. Parameters all fine.

Ive read a few things about brown on shrimp and if I remember right its down to 2 things first is completely normal colour change I think its got something to do with its genes and reverting back to natural colour the second is diet if its eating alot of brown food or algae this can change the colours. Im no expert on shrimp so hopefully someone more knowledgeable can be more helpful

Mark

Had a look online and seems to be bacterial so the start of lots of small water changes. Gave the canister filter pipes a clean a few days ago too as the ribbed fluval ones can hold lots of guff so hopefully that will help.

Brown spots are usually a sign of too much bacteria, like you said. Do you have lots of alder cones or leaf litter in the tank?

You need to give your filter media a good clean, remove any alder cones and leaf litter (leave maybe one or two of each). You can also add a couple MTS to start turning the substrate over and moving anything harmful to the bottom of the tank. Add a little montmorillonite or mironekuton powder too.

Hi Dane, yes I have leaf litter and some is quite old so I'll take the oldest out. I gave the filter an overhaul a few days ago with a water change and then did another w/c yesterday and have another berried female today. I was going to get the montmorillonite rock so I'll do it asap. I'll have to find some MTS...

Back