• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Brown edges on leaves

James Burcham

Here are some pics of my plants that have brown discoloration starting at the leaf edges. All of these plants are in the high light area of the scape with the exception of the Anubias. Is this algae or too much / too little nutrient? Any help is appreciated?
20190730_171845.jpg 20190730_171834.jpg 20190730_172040.jpg 20190730_171933.jpg 20190730_172101.jpg

Looks like diatoms which are common in new setups - usually appearing at around 2-6weeks
Some scapes seem much more prone to diatoms than others, it’s usually a mild to moderate, short lived algae, but can occasionally be severe and determined

Otocinclus are the most efficient solution, Nerites & Clithon snails are often good alternatives
Shrimp, other snails etc will contribute

Otherwise daily water changes, adjust light (usually down not up), substrate vacuuming, filter media rinsing etc - ie all the usual suggestions

Plus 1 for alto
Looks like diatoms have you rubbed the leaves through your fingers see if it comes off I'm going through it with my iwagumi at the moment just be patient and increase water changes
Cheers
Jay

Looks like diatoms which are common in new setups - usually appearing at around 2-6weeks
Some scapes seem much more prone to diatoms than others, it’s usually a mild to moderate, short lived algae, but can occasionally be severe and determined

I was hoping this was the case! I've noticed brown on the rocks as well. I just felt like I had better ask.

Looks like diatoms have you rubbed the leaves through your fingers see if it comes off I'm going through it with my iwagumi at the moment just be patient and increase water changes

It did seem to come off the Anubias a little. I only tried to rub it because the other leaves are much more delicate.

If the Anubias <"really is all white">? It will <"eventually die, whatever you do">, it just doesn't have any chlorophyll

This is very unfortunate! Had I been aware I wouldn't have purchased it. It wasn't cheap either. Here is a link to it.
https://greenleafaquariums.com/products/anubias-snow-white-tissue-culture-mini-cup.html

I've been thinking of moving it where it gets better light. Do you think that would help it? It does show some green verigation in the picture. But it didn't come with any on it.

Hi all,
It does show some green verigation in the picture. But it didn't come with any on it
If it has a trace of chlorophyll it will need more light. My suspicion would be that it really doesn't have any chlorophyll.

It is only the green tissue that can photosynthesise, so any fragment of green has to support the whole plant. If conditions are absolutely optimal then you may get very slow growth. This was @Mick.Dk's comment
Just another 'variegata' sport of an Anubias barteri variation.
They are usually not stable (=going back to green, when growing on) and the more white/yellow, the less prolific growers (=lack of capability to do photosynthesis) . Most such shoots are taken from all green plants, supporting these white parts - when broken off, these all white/yellow parts usually starve to death (unless they switch back to green form).
I've had really a lot of those variegata-forms of Anubias through the years - some spotted leaves, some all white leaves, some pure white and some yellowish white. They show up relatively often in production. I collect some of the more interesting looking specimens and check how well they grow on. To present day, I really have not found a single one, that have proven worthy of going into commercial production.
cheers Darrel

Tom Barr was promoting a white Anubias some while back, maybe worth tracking down aquarium etc conditions
I'm pretty sure the one Tom was promoting was very much like the 'Stardust'- which do have some green in the leaves. It does not make it a prolific grower, but it does make it possible to grow it on.

The GLA tIssue culture white Anubias (linked above) shows a pale green hue - I suspect this is sufficient for its (slow) growth under optimum conditions

Though perhaps the one James received displays less green tissue

@James Burcham, I’d contact GLA and ask if they’ve any display tanks with this Anubias sp. or perhaps some client tanks (growth conditions/experiences)

Back