• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Broken Ex1200 (again + again)

Nick16

hi all, im getting really annoyed with tetra's external filter range now and will not buy them again.
i used to swear by them but have had more problems than you can shake a stick at over the last year.

where the inlet comes out of your tank and joins to the hose, the little screw thread fixing has snapped in half. this is the second one to fail on me in a week. i have tried improvising with a jubilee clip but its letting loads of air bubbles in which is clooging the filter, making it noisy, and utterly useless.

had i not been at home on both occasions to hear the 'crack' (yes my heart jumped when i thought, THE TANK!!) i would have had 450L of water on my dads precious wooden floor!
At the moment i have turned the filter off but it has 1 of my 2 ETH's on the outlet and my co2 diffuser meaning there is no co2 entering the tank at the moment (hence not being able to enter the ADA contest, again :( )

i have numerous spare parts including a whole 'motorhead' part to the filter, an impellor and a set of tubing but no little plastic clips.

what can i do? ring tetra? - (i have rung before and then sent me a new filter, im going to start feeling guilty and they will think im lying and in it for free parts) :(

I will NEVER be buying a tetratec External filter again untill quality improves. Next time is eheim pro3 or Fx5 for me.

dont even get me started on my TT air pump...... :twisted:

Re: Broken Ex1200 (again)

Yeah I read many mixed reviews about them and in the end even when they were cheap I decided not to buy one! Brought the JBL instead and its been solid, would recommend it.

I just picked up a second hand Rena xp3, Impressed with the solidness of the build would recomend one of these aswell.

Same here Nick.
Almost 2 years of trouble free operation, then it starts falling apart. I'll spare the details but lets just say when it starts to fall apart it takes no prisoners! :twisted:

yeah look like im ringing tetra again then. really not happy about this. and the fact nearly 1/2 a ton of water on my floor!

now just to find a number i can actually get through to TT on. i used to have richards number. (or is he called rupert?)
see shows how much these filters go worng when i had actually saved his number!! wish i could find it now! thats modern phones for you, when you need them most, they lose it!

08700 55 40 20, (EDIT - wrong number, correct number in later post in this same thread)
option 1.

Shall be calling it myself tomorrow as well!
Just need to dig out my reference number from last time first.
(filter currently sitting in a bucket very slowly leaking - no immediate concern, just frustrating).
On the bright side, they are very pleasant to deal with, and respond admirably with spare parts.

True words, I got an entire filter for free! :)

when ever i ring the number above all i get is - the number you have called is busy.

i have tried about 8 times over the past 2 hours.

maybe everyones TT is breaking!

national TT is S**T day.

Garuf said:

Ditto.

And mine only leaked when you use the primer button.

Sorry Nick.
I gave you the wrong number :oops:
The correct number is 02380 606070, option 1.

squiggley said:
Garuf said:

Ditto.

And mine only leaked when you use the primer button.

Lol mine did that. I stopped using the primer button and made sure I filled the filter back up all the way with water.

does any have the number for one of the more important people in the company?
(is it rupert?)

i have rung the silly call centre 3 times now and twice they said they would email me, and never got back to me and the third said 'i do not speak good english, call back at 2 to speak with a person who speaks good english) (well thats what i thought they said!!)

so they have a call centre which UK customers call and yet their staff cannot speak english. thats appauling!

Eheim for me next time im afraid. centrainly wont be using tetratec now. Its been a week since my filter broke.

02380 606070 this number is a southampton number and i know of the address and im pretty sure they are just starter type lockup units doubt if the phones are manned all day? heres another number 02380 606071

cheers mate. will give them a ring in the morning. see what happens!

I`ll never buy Tetratec again. I have had two 1200s dump allover the kitchen floor. My 60l still has an EX700 running on it, which I never open up any more, as I don`t trust it to seal again.

Dave.

Same for me - no more Tetratec. Both my EX1200's started leaking, and Tetra were very good and sent me a pair of replacement filterheads overnight from Germany which I was pretty impressed with - until they both leaked everywhere too :)

Only eheim for me now, they're a bit more money but they work and don't leak !

Tony

2 parcels later, still the correct part evades me.

i now have a hose adaptor and motor head rings which i dont need.

i have explained to them several times what part i need and still nothing. its infuriating!

would help if i could speak to an english person who understood me. its not like i have a heavy accent.

all i need are two tiny plastic pieces! where you connect the hosing to the inlet and outlets that hook over your tank.
ive tried using a jubilee clip but it doesnt work.

Update number 400

After sending me O rings and a hose adaptor unti which was incorrect they have now said they are going to send me a WHOLE inlet and outlet kit.

all i wanted was the tiny plastic pieces and yet because everything is packaged they cant send out a little thing like that. it has to be the whole kit!

now, i have a whole spare motorhead at home, spare tubing set, another spare impellor. and now apart from the two plastic things i will take out, a whole new inlet and outlet kit.

all i need is the actuall cannister and i have a brand new TT!! if only they sent out the right parts!!

hers to me, hoping to get some correct parts.
shame my tank has suffered really badly with no co2.

I was just typing a post to say just ask them for the whole inlet outlet kit when you replied that is what they are doing :lol:

Hello I have a EX1200 and have had some problem mainly the filter head leaking. If you can get a fx5 I would recommend it I now have 2 fx5s instead of 1 fx5 and 1 ex1200. Dont get me wrong the EX is a good filter its just not made up to stranded compared to the fx5.

Back