• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

british wood

I'm from up North zhuth so i cant help you with London, but I'll bet if you went to the Thames at low tide there would be some old soaked driftwood that would probably sink pretty quickly like proper bogwood on the riverbank amongst the dead bodies, shopping trolleys and old bicycles etc....

you might be able to find boggy areas on google earth, i use it to find places to go fishing

they might well do, i was just adding in on what i though i read awhile back on them... and when cutting one down it seemed hard but i might be wrong

ight be able to find boggy areas on google earth
I think i just will do that Kevin although I'm not keen of dead bodies or body parts but at least if I find some wood i can use the shopping trolley to push it home.
But yes will actually check it as until now i thought only wood from "bogs" is suitable but now I will widen my knowledge on this subject a bit and hope to find something good.
Men I love it here every line gives you something new. I just only hope at least one time i can help some one out here as a repayment for all the info....

just dont do what i did to collect it... bike... i ended up tieing like 10 3foot bits of wood to my bike and pushing it half a mile back home... after dragging the wood through the wood's near the stream for half a mile as well... was a fun day >.>

just remember if you get anything out of the river it will probably need a very thorough clean. personally i'd just buy a piece of bogwood that way you dont just get any old piece but get one that actually appeals

well i read that grapevines aren't much good because they rot too quick
they might well do, i was just adding in on what i though i read awhile back on them... and when cutting one down it seemed hard but i might be wrong
Hi, vine wood bought in aquarium/Vivarium shops is IMO unsuitable for long term aquarium use as it is a softwood and does rot quickly (10 months ish) I used it in Dragons Crypt journal and it went soft and mouldy at the end.
Cheerio
Ady

Looks like this when dead if you can find a good place to collect it -
wooda.jpg

Tom that is a mighty big box of heather, u selling any?

The PFK site had a article on some of these issues a couple of days back, it mentioned things like grapevine being to soft and such, it was just an overview but you might find it interesting.

So fruit wood - pear, apple etc...is ok to just plonk in a tank freshly cut from a tree?

So fruit wood - pear, apple etc...is ok to just plonk in a tank freshly cut from a tree?
i dont know if its okay to plonk it in... but i did... i was lazy and dident want to wait... turned out fine, it was waited down with slate burryed under the and though

i dont think it should be plonked in straight from the tree think it should be dead first

Looking at the comments here I think there is a need for a thread in the tutorials or wherever applicable for a heading "aquarium safe local wood". Unfortunately I don't have enough knowledge about the various indigenous species to start it. Think it'll be a fantastic resource for all to reference and also a place to post the scapes done using these woods. On a funny note, there I headed up to one of our natural parks here in the north on a heather hunt only to be told by the ranger that all the heather & I mean a fair few tonnes of it is being dug back into the ground to replenish the peat fields. What a kick in the nuts that was, all I wanted was a few twigs. Darn it. Can't complain too much though as they are undertaking conservation, one of my loves in life. It all about what we can give back to the planet...

Looking at the comments here I think there is a need for a thread in the tutorials or wherever applicable for a heading "aquarium safe local wood". Unfortunately I don't have enough knowledge about the various indigenous species to start it. Think it'll be a fantastic resource for all to reference and also a place to post the scapes done using these woods. On a funny note, there I headed up to one of our natural parks here in the north on a heather hunt only to be told by the ranger that all the heather & I mean a fair few tonnes of it is being dug back into the ground to replenish the peat fields. What a kick in the nuts that was, all I wanted was a few twigs. Darn it. Can't complain too much though as they are undertaking conservation, one of my loves in life. It all about what we can give back to the planet...

Better still, lets continue with this thread & those that are using these woods - put some pics on & let us know what problems if any you faced when you first used it... Share the knowledge peeps!

id like some photos of the heather set up it looks cool and yes i think there is some guidence needed on this subject

Back