• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bristle worm

ralphthemouth

Seedling
I noticed a centipede looking thing I my tank last night. I haven't seen it before so presume it comes out when the lights dim down. It's about 1/2 to 1 inch long, and just wonders over the bog wood. I googled it and found out about bristle worms. I don't know if they are good or bad and don't know whether to remove it from the tank or not. If I can get a good shot I'll take a pic. It's a new tank, about a week old with live plants.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Hi all,
I noticed a centipede looking thing I my tank last night. I haven't seen it before so presume it comes out when the lights dim down. It's about 1/2 to 1 inch long, and just wonders over the bog wood. I googled it and found out about bristle worms. I don't know if they are good or bad and don't know whether to remove it from the tank or not. If I can get a good shot I'll take a pic. It's a new tank, about a week old with live plants.
Nothing to worry about.

It sounds like an <"Asellus">. They are crustaceans (like shrimps).

cheers Darrel

No. It's not one of those weird things lol. It's more wormy/centipedey looking.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Freshwater paddleworm
namanareis_feb_03_manawatumontage_b_650.jpg

http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/r...-legs2/segmented-worms/freshwater-paddleworms

That indeed definitively not a worm.. :) Very interesting, probably housed in the wood from before it was submersed.

ecology and morphological adaptations Cryptocorypha ornata (Attems 1938) Acknowledgements References. Only very few millipedes, representing the Polydesmidae, Pyrgodesmidae, Bla-niulidae,Julidae and Siphonotidae from temperate and/or tropical regions, have been reported or suspected to temporarily enter water bodies and feed on fine-grained organic particles in water-films or watercourses submersion tolerance of a few hours/days or the submergence resistance of weeks/months is enabled, in most cases, by plastron respiration using cuticular structures (spiracles with microtrichia) or cuticular secretions.

Only two polydesmidan species, however, are presently known to have an amphibious mode of life: (1) subadults and adults of the troglobite Serradium semiaquaticum Enghoff et al. 1997 (Polydesmidae), showing modified mouthparts (hair-shaped teeth of pectinate lamel-lae; Fig. 1) and hydrophobic microtrichia in the spiracles, can remain up to 4 weeks in subterranean water bodies of North Italian caves (Ams et al. 1997, ENGHOFF et al. 1997); (2) advanced juvenile stages and subadults of Gonographis adisiHoffman 1985 (Pyrgodesmidae) pass the annual flood period of 5-7 months duration submerged on tree trunks in blackwater inundation forests of the Negro River, Central Amazonia, grazing on algae. Due to a cerotegument (Fig. 2) which covers the spiracles, their submergence resistance reaches 11 months.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/03946975.1998.10539372

Maybe you found a new sp. to add to the list of the 2 known. :)

My wife thinks she's going to find it growing 18 feet and climbing out of the tank at night to roam the house and eat her. ..... .

So it's possible it'll only live for a few months then. I guess I'll leave it in for a while then and see what happens.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hi all,
Definitely a Millipede (Myriapoda, Diplopoda) you can see the two pairs of legs per segment.

I didn't know that semi-aquatic Millipedes existed, but apparently Aporodesminus wallacei has managed to find its way to Tahiti and St. Helena etc., presumably via dead wood, so would seem a very likely candidate.

cheers Darrel

Back