• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bricks in aquascape

Courtneybst

image.jpg
Hey guys, I've used some bricks in a new contest scape to elevate the hardscape and substrate. As they're engineering bricks, they have 10 big holes in the centre. I was thinking to fill the gaps with crushed lava rock as I've got tons of it.

My question is do you think these holes will become anaerobic? I don't imagine there will be a whole lot of water movement through it but I was hoping the lava rock would help.

Any help appreciated. 🙂

James maslin (?) I think did a brick iwagumi, there’s a thread around here somewhere but I couldn’t spot it.

Hi all,
As they're engineering bricks, they have 10 big holes in the centre. I was thinking to fill the gaps with crushed lava rock as I've got tons of it.

My question is do you think these holes will become anaerobic?
I don't think it matters whether they do or not. <"Anaerobic zones"> (or zones of <"fluctuating REDOX">) are normal in sediments and may actually help with making nutrients available.
What about expanding foam?
Would keep everything aerobic.
James maslin (?) I think did a brick iwagumi,
Diana Walstad used bricks in her "aquascapes".

cheers Darrel

I’m pretty sure I also saw Mark’s Shrimp Tanks using bricks as hardscape for susswassertang - it would have been on YouTube

My question is do you think these holes will become anaerobic? I don't imagine there will be a whole lot of water movement through it but I was hoping the lava rock would help.
I agree with Darrel. This is really not anything to worry about. I suggest that you just carry on and forget about the holes.

Cheers,

Back