• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Breeding all types of snails.

nathanaldo07

Hi, I am looking to breed all sorts of snails for me to sell on me ebay shop, but also for the pure enjoyment of breeding.

I am here today to see if anyone has any tips on how to breed successfully and efficiently.

The snail species I currently have are:
  • Bladder snails (Physella acuta)
  • Ramshorn snails (I think they're Planorbis rubrum but I could be wrong)
  • Pond snails (Lymnaea stagnalis)
  • Apple/mystery snails (Pomacea bridgessi)
  • Malaysian trumpet snails (Melanoides tuberculata)

I currently have these snails in 3 set ups:
  • A 105L tank containing many ramshorn snails, 10 apple/mystery snails and a few malaysian trumpet snails. This tank is also home to two bristlenose plecos, a few otocinclus and shrimp.
  • A 45L tub containing just bladder snails (about 40)
  • A 45L tub containing just pond snails (about 10 medium sized with many babies)

All setups are filtrated to accommodate the large bio load of snails (especially when there are vast amounts of babies) so water quality is perfect in all set ups. Also, they are all heated to 23 to 25 degrees celsius (73 to 77 degrees fahrenheit.) They also all have plants in them.

I aim to feed a varied diet of hikari algae wafers, regular fish food, blanched spinach, blanched cucumber, blanched courgettes (zucchinis)

My ramshorns are breeding fine but if you have any tips please let me know as all advice is useful and greatly appreciated.

My bladder snails bred a little bit when they first went into the tub (the walls were covered with eggs, I'd say around 40 different egg clutches.) However, I have not noticed any eggs since and am unsure as to why they may have stopped laying them. So if any of you have any clues then I would really appreciate it.

My pond snails have layed many egg clutches, and I would notice all of the babies would congregate at the water line so I stuck some food at the water line to ensure they got food as I was unsure if they were eating. Is this normal? The older, larger snails would go all over the tub and eat food wherever I put it. Recently I have noticed less and less baby snails at the water line but cannot really see them anywhere else, could they just be hiding or could something have happened to them?

I have only just recently got the mystery snails and malaysian trumpet snails but I have already noticed some baby malaysian trumpet snails around the tank. If any of you have any tips on breeding either then again I would greatly appreciate it.

Sorry for all of the questions, just looking to see others opinions on the matter. Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

My ramshorns are breeding fine but if you have any tips please let me know as all advice is useful and greatly appreciated.

My bladder snails bred a little bit when they first went into the tub (the walls were covered with eggs, I'd say around 40 different egg clutches.) However, I have not noticed any eggs since and am unsure as to why they may have stopped laying them. So if any of you have any clues then I would really appreciate it.

Snail populations tend to change in line with the availability of food, so (within reason) feed more and you should get more baby snails.

Do you have the Bladder snails in the same tank to the Ramshorns? I always find, in new tanks, the Bladder snails are quicker off the mark and produce loads of babies, but once the Ramshorns take a hold they quickly out compete them and the Bladder snail population declines rapidly.

Last edited:
Snail populations tend to change in line with the availability of food, so (within reason) feed more and you should get more baby snails.

Do you have the balder snails in the same tank to the Ramshorns? I always find, in new tanks, the Bladder snails are quicker off the mark and produce loads of babies, but once the Ramshorns take a hold they quickly out compete them and the Bladder snail population declines rapidly.

I keep finding ramshorns in the tub with them, each time I spot some I remove them and put them in the 105L where they should be, I think they just like to hide in the mulm.

I also always ensure they have a constant food source, I just notice it doesnt get eaten very quickly, and its often just being eaten by the ramshorns, as you said.

Where are you? I believe it is illegal to sell apple snails in some countries.

People may pay for unusual colours of ramshorn snails and maybe MTS but the other snails are a pest that people get with plants and buy assassins snails to eradicate. Can’t imagine many experienced hobbyists paying for them. I used to supply my lfs with apple snails when they were legal. I kept pink, white and purple. They breed in huge numbers despite my best efforts and could really mess with water quality

I aim to feed a varied diet of hikari algae wafers, regular fish food, blanched spinach, blanched cucumber, blanched courgettes (zucchinis)
I feed my snails food for crayfish, JBL NovoCrabs to be precise. Intention was to provide them additional calcium but i doubt it has any. At least snails love it.

Where are you? I believe it is illegal to sell apple snails in some countries.
They are illegal in the EU, because they can survive outdoors in Spain (at least) and could become invasive. Since Brexit they are legal again in the UK.
I used to supply my lfs with apple snails when they were legal. I kept pink, white and purple.
I did that with the Gold variety. :)

Back