• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Brandis Edge (Flamingo)

Thanks for the comments guys, and I promise there will be no more mid water change press ups...

I'm getting a little melt on the HC, I've had this before with new aquasoil, hopefully it'll recover ok.

Also, George sent me some crs, I didn't realise how high grade they would be, really really good quality and they've settled in great!

6Wus3Qo.jpg

HiFXnZe.jpg

Those shrimp look really nice . I'm looking for something similar or my shrimp tank :)

Sent from my mobile telecommunications device

Beautiful scape mate. You really make things look easy. I like how the LEDs cast a bit of a shadow on the right side of the trunk. Makes it look very 3D. Perfectly complemented by the bright sandy shore.

Those shrimp look really nice . I'm looking for something similar or my shrimp tank :)

Sent from my mobile telecommunications device

They're really nice, the kids love em as well.

Beautiful scape mate. You really make things look easy. I like how the LEDs cast a bit of a shadow on the right side of the trunk. Makes it look very 3D. Perfectly complemented by the bright sandy shore.

Cheers for that flygja! I just hope the HC recoveres from this melt! Lol

Only minor thing that feels a bit unnatural are the stones dividing the sand and soil.
With some mini hair grass or mosses/fissidens around those stones it could work out great.

Ian - couple of quick questions if you'll let me. Do you find the 2073 gives you a high enough turnover when its full of media? I believe its 1050lph empty, so just shy of 13x capacity and I'm not sure what it drops down to when full. I'm hoping to buy a Signature in the new year (same dimensions) and am looking into filters at the moment but I'll only get one shot at picking the right one.. its this or the 2075..

Also, the mounting bracket for the ultima tile - was that an additional purpose or is that the "versatile mounting bracket" a few places advertise that comes with the tile? Amazing to read that the lamps are guaranteed for 50,000hrs. Based on a photoperiod of 7 hrs per day, that's just shy of 20 years!

Many thanks - love reading through your journals - most inspiring.

Ben

Lovely as always! Only minor thing that feels a bit unnatural are the stones dividing the sand and soil. But the moss and algae on the trunk looks superb!

Thanks for the comment Yo-Han, hopefully, when the hairgrass grows in and the HC takes off properly the stones will be less obvious. I might end up putting some moss on some slate and strategically place them in between the rocks.

With some mini hair grass or mosses/fissidens around those stones it could work out great.

Cheers Paulo, I was thinking the same. Lol

Ps, I got the idea for the thread fins from one of your previous videos I found on Vimeo.

Ian - couple of quick questions if you'll let me. Do you find the 2073 gives you a high enough turnover when its full of media? I believe its 1050lph empty, so just shy of 13x capacity and I'm not sure what it drops down to when full. I'm hoping to buy a Signature in the new year (same dimensions) and am looking into filters at the moment but I'll only get one shot at picking the right one.. its this or the 2075..

Also, the mounting bracket for the ultima tile - was that an additional purpose or is that the "versatile mounting bracket" a few places advertise that comes with the tile? Amazing to read that the lamps are guaranteed for 50,000hrs. Based on a photoperiod of 7 hrs per day, that's just shy of 20 years!

Many thanks - love reading through your journals - most inspiring.

Ben

Thank you Ben, this is a good question....the 2073 was perfect when I had the lily pipes facing the front of the tank in the first couple of scapes in the signiture. With the melt I'm experiencing at the moment, and the lily pipes now at the side of the tank, I'm not sure the 2073 is actually powerful enough for the dimensions of the tank. I've added a power head for the time being to get the distribution better. If you've got the money, then go for the 2075. Yon can turn the flow down if it's too much. My other theory with the HC is that it doesn't like new soil, and the ammonia. It's funny how it grows perfectly for me in inert substrates.

The mounting brackets are sold separate to the tiles. The actual brackets are about £20 and the rail that fits the bracket are about a tenner. The tile costs the most, and that was about £150. Then there's the controller if you want one, I picked this up second hand.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: tim
Thanks Ian - I was afraid you might say that! Pricey, this hobby, innit?!
I think it would have to be the 2075 - nothing worse than having hopes of a dream aquascape dashed by a poor purchase..
Thanks for taking the time to reply - it is much appreciated.

Cheers Paulo, I was thinking the same. Lol Ps, I got the idea for the thread fins from one of your previous videos I found on Vimeo.
Good choice mate, they are lovely fish :) and they suit the scape perfectly.

It's been 2 weeks since set up, and I've just been doing some video. There some extra light over the tank for the vids. The HC seems to have bounced back well. The mini hairgrass is starting to spread and get its colour back. Things seem to be on track at present.

10223273936_1d9eede1bd_c.jpg
image by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

10223274526_5e04d74fe2_c.jpg

10223274516_ba957e1533_c.jpg

10223274956_5c06e92f57_c.jpg

I do too. My hc is in the same sort of position I have a bit of lush new growth sprouting out though. I did rescue mine from a tank I stopped I ejecting co2 on about 2 months prior though :rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

It's filling out nicely mate, can't help but notice on the last pic with a glance those rocks look like autumn leaves around the tree (really nice) when the plants spread over the soil and fill out it's going to look fab!

Looking great Ian. I hope the HC hangs in there for ya!

Cheers Mark, it looks like it's going to pull through. I have trimmed the tall parts of it today.

I do too. My hc is in the same sort of position I have a bit of lush new growth sprouting out though. I did rescue mine from a tank I stopped I ejecting co2 on about 2 months prior though :rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Thanks Ali, As said, it looks like it's stopped melting now. I always get warey with HC! Lol

It's filling out nicely mate, can't help but notice on the last pic with a glance those rocks look like autumn leaves around the tree (really nice) when the plants spread over the soil and fill out it's going to look fab!

Thank you Gary, that's a nice comment, very much appreciated. It looks like I'm going have to have some patience with this one.

Back