• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Brain Teaser

Dave Spencer

See if you can get to the bottom of this. SSSHHH if you have seen it before. :shh:

05.gif

Dave.

Well thank you to those who couldn't manage to keep quiet and had to post the answer, even after Dave asked not to. Just ruins it for everybody else.

Bit difficult not to when opening the page as it's right in front of me. I've a large screen so can get a lot on in one go. First answer given 10 minutes after the puzzle was posted.

Well now it's The angles aren't all the same, they look it but aren't really so when you move it all round you "gain" the extra space.

JamesC said:
Well thank you to those who couldn't manage to keep quiet and had to post the answer, even after Dave asked not to. Just ruins it for everybody else.

My thoughts exactly, James.

For those who need a nudge, the answer is in the hypotenuse.

Here is an easier one. :lol:

03.jpg

Dave.

love this stuff. I always confuse the lads at work when I'm bisecting angles to make lead rain water pipes, swan necks and off-sets.

They just cant get their head around it. It's dead simple too. :crazy:

here's a hopper and pipes I made for chatsworth house recently. The head was quit complex, but a basic knowledge of maths and angles and all becomes simples :D

good-head.jpg

I love my job!

Garuf said:
Well now it's The angles aren't all the same, they look it but aren't really so when you move it all round you "gain" the extra space.
Please bear with me chaps...

Each separate element in each diagram is the same in both, no? As the blurb says: "The partitions are exactly the same as those used above." The two shapes they are used to construct are the same, too - right-angled triangles with sides measuring 5 by 13 units. So the extra space comes from :?: :?: :?:
................................................... :text-imsorry:

I guess that there are actually fractional differences in all of the pieces in the second figure, but I'm blowed if I can see them.

As you can imagine - I never do my own leadwork!

I`ll put you out of your misery, Paul. Put a straight edge against the longest edge on both triangles. One is convex, and one is concave.

saintly said:
I always confuse the lads at work when I'm bisecting angles to make lead rain water pipes, swan necks and off-sets.

No playing you at pool or snooker for money, then.

Dave.

how would the longest edges of the triangles not being straight gain tthe extra space?? personally i think this couldn't be any more obvious.

Back