• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Boyu CO2 diffuser - so far so good...

nry

Okies, well it seems to work well enough - my guess is it would also work well with DIY CO2 as it needs little pressure to push CO2 bubbles into the filter tubing. I get a steady mist of tiny bubbles into the aquarium even at a massively low 1bpm. I admit to having no drop checker on the tank (naughty me) as I tend to just crank CO2 up until the fish complain, then knock it down a little - on my old setup I always needed at least 30bpm (using the same bubble counter from my old setup) to reach a green drop checker but as yet I don't know how well this Boyu setup with mist around the aquarium will behave.

I'm going to order another drop checker (broke my last one) so I can get a bpm count before putting it away again - less is more for me, can't do all this measuring stuff any more!

Linky:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CO2-Carbon-Dioxid ... 7C294%3A50

All of £4.98 delivered too, can't argue with that!

hi,
just got mine today.will set it up on sunday and see how it goe's :D
neil

Be good to get some other feedback - think there's only now three of us on here who have said they have one. For the price it is very solidly put together - the only drawback being you can't open it up to clean it 'IF' it gets dirty. Mine is inside the cabinet so will get little light - hopefully this and the high CO2 levels around the ceramic should keep algae down.

hi,
i think a few people have them,aaron for sure,though no tank yet :) .then maybe paulo,andy and jamesm.not sure :?
neil

Is it still 'good' to have CO2 mist around the aquarium or has it slightly moved towards 100% diffusion with no bubbles?

I have 2 in my cupboard not being used :) I found that they work quite well but not with my setup of having the lily pipe at the surface nor the very high turnover I am using.

I think Zig found the same thing until he changed to the ADA jet pipe. You need to find a method to inject the bubbles without them instantly hitting the surface :) The Jet pipe pushed them at velocity slightly downward

Is it still 'good' to have CO2 mist around the aquarium or has it slightly moved towards 100% diffusion with no bubbles?

I think mist is the general consensus. I was talking on the Barr report with someone who was telling me that a lot more CO2 was lost with misting than a reactor and I asked 'what makes you think that'. The answer I got was that bubbles rise to the surface and get lost to which I replied that the same will happen with 100% dissolved CO2 but the 'exit can't be seen :).

I have no idea on which uses less O but I wouldn't think there would be much difference. Whether dissolved or not the equilibrium is still the same.

AC

Got mine last week along with the glass jobbies with the ceramic bit in the middle. Ive just put the glass one on for the moment and im quite pleased with it but the one above does seem like a decent bit of kit for the money. I might even set up a second CO2 system although my tank is looking so nice now that im a little put off with changing anything.

My lily pipe does push the bubbles a good way into and down the tank height, one thing I really like about this diffuser is how it hardly affects the filter flow rate, even with the replacement glass outlet pipe connected up again, the flow rate out of the inlet lily is pretty much the same as it was before!

Took a bit of playing to get this right, but (without any drop checker, I love this no measuring concept) with a small amount of surface agitation, and 8bpm (from a D-D bubble counter), I am getting a lovely fine mist around nearly all the tank and plants are pearling like never before.

Without any agitation the fine bubbles were just sitting at the water surface and at a guess, increasing CO2 levels really high as the fish were showing signs of too much CO2. My cory's are the best check, if they start surfacing for a breath more often then CO2 is too high.

I'm 99% convinced that the CO2 mist gets a really good concentration of CO2 to the plants, with the surface agitation preventing too much CO2 being in the water column.

I've started lifting the lily pipe higher at lights off which really keeps surface scum away, so overall I am very happy with CO2 at the moment :)

EX1200 is a 16mm/22mm hose. That's cool, I'm thinking of putting it onto an EX1200 :) Actually, I suspect it'll be a case of chopping off some of the hose tail, like you would with a UV light unit or something...

I fitted mine to my EX1200 yesterday, there was no need to cut the hosetails, but I did use a couple of hose clips to secure the pipe to the diffuser seeing as any large movement of the pipes could easily pull them off the hosetails.

Back