• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bought a tank off eBay.

Sean Scapes

Hi all
I'm in need of advice. I purchased my dream sized tank off eBay. I collected it yesterday and transported it home in my excitement I didn't properly examine the tank. When I set up the tank I noticed damaged to one corner of the tank. I have filled it to where the issue is and there is a small weeping from that side of the tank. I have tried to contact the seller but it's their word against mine. I would like to get the tank repaired if anyone knows a company that can do it? I've attached some photos of the tank.

What would you advise to save the tank?
DSC_0564.JPG
IMG_20221230_103244.jpg
IMG_20221230_103225.jpg
DSC_0562.JPG

What a shame. That looks like it's been ding'd on the corner and it's shattered the whole way through. If that's the case then the only thing you can do is replace that side panel. Try asking your lfs if they use anyone to build tanks or do their own, sometimes they may know a customer. In the past I've replaced quite a few of these as it's pretty easy if you are used to making tanks but there isn't anyway you'd trust it, unless that panel is replaced I'm afraid. Replacement glass can be bought from glassiers who will cut it to size and bevel the edges for you but glass is very expensive at the moment.

Though lfs often know of trade tank builders, not all of them will want to get involved with such repairs, they can be a headache for anyone.
Assume your tank builder is reasonably local to you ?

Expect there were some firm words exchanged when you contacted them about the damage, though it may mean a bit of humble pie, could you ask them for a price to repair it for you and hopefully they might offer a fair price ?
Yes, it means you are admitting they did not damage it, but it might be the quickest and cheapest way to get it repaired.

Out if interest what is the size of the tank ?

Who’s the supplier? Repair may not even be worthwhile at this point in all honesty.
The damage looks consistent with it being lifted from one end and all the weight being on the corner.

The amount of tanks I’ve damaged this way whilst cleaning them out and I’ve rested them on one corner whilst trying to get a good grip.

Did the seller/supplier respond?. Is it second hand?

You could also contact eBay as you should have some protection on your purchase if it can’t be settled with the seller.

Though lfs often know of trade tank builders, not all of them will want to get involved with such repairs, they can be a headache for anyone.
Assume your tank builder is reasonably local to you ?

Expect there were some firm words exchanged when you contacted them about the damage, though it may mean a bit of humble pie, could you ask them for a price to repair it for you and hopefully they might offer a fair price ?
Yes, it means you are admitting they did not damage it, but it might be the quickest and cheapest way to get it repaired.

Out if interest what is the size of the tank ?
It's a 1200x55x53 size tank 300 litres

Who’s the supplier? Repair may not even be worthwhile at this point in all honesty.
The damage looks consistent with it being lifted from one end and all the weight being on the corner.

The amount of tanks I’ve damaged this way whilst cleaning them out and I’ve rested them on one corner whilst trying to get a good grip.

Did the seller/supplier respond?. Is it second hand?

You could also contact eBay as you should have some protection on your purchase if it can’t be settled with the seller.
Seller said they emptied the tank but they only moved it from the kitchen when it was empty. I did notice silicone on the outside of the glass around the area where the damage is. Seller says they never applied silicone on the outside of the glass and the damage was from me transporting it and any silicone.

The tank is second hand they said it was less then a month old and immaculate condition with no issues and that the tank was full with water and fish. The leak is a small weeping drip I only noticed it cause the damage made me check it.

I'm going to contact eBay tomorrow as the seller has been very dismissive I sent him videos showing the silicone on the outside glass panel the damage and they are saying I'm calling them a liar. For 300 pounds I would at least hope for a water tight tank at the minimum.

If you’re confident the damage was definitely there then take the matter to eBay as you have buyer protection.
I will say though, tanks can often have silicone on the outside glass panels. They’re made by humans and so error does occur, if it’s an Aquaone tank, there will definitely be some silicone around the outside in areas.

Good luck !!

It's a 1200x55x53 size tank 300 litres

A little surprised at the size of tank when you initially said your "Dream Sized Tank", did think it was some extra large or special size .
There are several suppliers of new 4ft /1200mm tanks out there for less than £300, though wonder if yours was sold with extra items like filters or made with the special opti glass etc ?

Afraid to say think its going to be a difficult one for ebay to settle, how did you pay, paypal , cash, CCard ?
If all that fails could tell the seller you will take him to the Small Claims Court, though again its might be a hard one for you to prove and for any judge to say whos right .

Think you would be better concentrating on getting the tank repaired with a new piece of glass and, though easy to say, just move on.

Who lifted the tank? Most people pick tanks up with their hands over the bottom corners and that damage looks like you would be able to feel it. It's going to be hard to prove when the damage was done and unless you are 100% certain that you didn't cause it, then that's the only time you can chase the seller.

I'd go to the glassiers, get a quote for the glass to see how painful it might be and then see if anyone local is willing to fix it. It really sucks but even if you open a dispute you will be in limbo until you get any answers.

I've spoken to my lfs they have given me a local company 10 minutes away that do aquariums and glass. They have said they should be able to help with repair/ replacement glass.

I appreciate the responses and the honest opinions. If it cant be repaired i will have to find another use for it.

Hi Sean, would you mind send me the name of the company - you’re fairly near me, and I’m looking to get some glass cut myself.

In the UK you have a statutory right to send online purchases back within 14 days for a full refund for any reason or for no reason at all. Nothing the seller claims including "non-refundable" has any relevance. Look it up and act quickly. EBay actually has reasonable documentation on this.
The onus is on the buyer as he went to pick it up and checked it, its not something you would miss as its not exactly a tiny crack, It is clearly visible to anybody just giving it a quick once over, let alone a thorough inspection. If it was delivered then it's a different story, but he went to pick it up himself so must have checked it and been happy with it.

@Sean Scapes would hold out on this. This tank is not fit for purpose and you have consumer rights legislation to fall back on. Find out if the seller as reviews on Trustpilot you can add yours at some point. Before that get in touch again with ebay you have quite a long time to return and report a product not fit for purpose. Resolver and Which legal would find out who owns the company for escalation. You could put all you complaint in through Resolver and trading standards Good luck

Reading through this, the only thing I can see in your favour is that there is silicone on the outside. That would only normally be applied to a repair. HTH

That’s fairly significant damage which will render the tank unusable. I’m surprised it wasn’t noticed on pick up, especially as bought used as you’d think it would be checked. Are there photos of that corner from when it was advertised on eBay?

Does consumer protection and statutory rights apply with a second hand purchase?

Last edited:
You still have rights but it's easier if it's a company .The fit for purpose but importantly as described . Don't hold water and damaged glass . Need as it's not clear if the seller is a individual or a company. Like buying anything second hand can get complicated but when all else fails there's the small claims court. Take the seller to court for a nominal fee but build all the evidence

I think you just have to initiate a return. eBay usually comes down on the side of the buyer. It seems to follow the Amazon model more these days. This was my experience with a related purchase. Stick to your guns and be insistent.

APS Optiwhite Aquarium

It's all well and good trying to return it or sort things out but you really have to be sure that you 100% didn't cause the damage. If you are then definitely contact ebay and go through the resolve process but if your aren't 100% and you may have accidently knocked it, pivoted on the corner when puttimg it in the car etc, then it's not fair to go after the seller imo.

I've known a few sellers that have been bitten when selling aquarium goods because the buyer knows they are protected by eBay.

Back